Digestive and breathing problems. Need help. (Long)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obcsed

I need some help with a 6-8 year old male. I'll try to keep it short but things have been going on for awhile.

Background: I have had Pikacu for about 2 years. His previous history is unknown but I suspect he hasn't had the best of diets in the past. About 2 months ago, he started having loose stools. He would leave large piles of large, poorly formed, wet sticky poop and was smashing it all over his shelves. I took everything away from him except his hay. When that didn't help, I took him to the vet and he was put on Trimeth. That straightened things out very quickly. However, about 2 weeks later, he started with the toxic waste poops again. This time we tried him on Flagyl. Again it fixed the poop problems but he had an adverse reaction to it (floppy ear, droopy eye and head tilt all on the left). About a week ago, the wet poops came back. We put him on Trimeth again and things looked like they were starting to clear up. We have done x-rays and numerous fecal tests, all of which have come back negative for obstructions, parasites and bacterial abnormalities.

3 days into this treatment with Trimeth, he developed rapid heavy breathing. He had pneumonia about a year ago which responded well to Baytril and his breathing reminded me of that. I called the vet and switched him to Baytril 2 days ago. It isn't helping like it did last time but then he isn't acting like he did with the pneumonia. That really wiped him out. He was lethargic and refused to eat. This time he is subdued but still runs around when out of his cage and is eating both his hay and the Critical Care I'm hand feeding him 3 times a day. He just breathes rapidly and tires easily. His poops are little soft but not wet and sticky. He has lost a lot of weight. He is gassy but he doesn't really bloat up. I'm giving him frequent gas drops and tummy rubs.

We will be going back to the vet on Monday. If anyone has any ideas what else we should look for or suggestions for treatment, I would be most grateful.

I would ask for a blood panel, looking at sugar levels and liver enzymes, also the white blood cell count. Diabetes and liver issues can cause poo like pudding, also would want to see if there is any infection brewing.

Just got back from the vet. His heart has become enlarged and there may possibly be a murmur. He developed edema in the lower abdomen and it became very tender. I was able to reduce it somewhat with the use of Metacam, increased water intake and belly rubs. His breathing has improved but is still rapid.We have put him on Lasix and stopped all antibiotics to see how things go. I think I'm on unknown ground and would love some suggestions for treating heart disease in chinchillas.

Note: we have tried unsuccessfully to get a blood sample from him several times. Where is the best place to draw one from?

After the treatment with lasix, which might have to be used daily, the treatment is lisinopril also daily, I had one with a class 5 murmur who went into congestive heart failure so the treatment options were discussed with me, lasix, lisinopril daily, low protein and low fat diet, moderate exercise. Chin may become tired easily.

The animal version of the ace inhibiter (lisinopril is human name) is enalapril, the dose is .5ml/kg once a day. That was what Gino was going to be rxed according to my notes on him. Lasix 1mg/kg once a day after 2mg/kg once a day to reduce edema.

Latest posts

Back