Digby is being a grump

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelseabell

Brought Digby home last night and I haven't really tried to touch him or anything since we picked him up. Both my husband and I held him at the breeder's house and he seemed cool with it, but I wanted to let him adjust.

This morning when I woke up, he was under his mixing bowl igloo all curled up with his quills sticking up. The heater was still on reading like 76 or so, but I turned it up a bit anyway. I wanted to pick him up for a second just to make sure he didn't feel cold and I shouldn't be concerned. However, all he does is curl up and hiss at me pretty violently.

I know this is probably normal since I just brought him home, but I am scared he's not going to stop and I am so terrified to pick him up because he has even jerked and snapped at me kind-of. I also need to take him out to clean his cage, as he's peed all over everything, but I don't know how I'm going to get him out. Hopefully he'll stay in his pouch, where he is now, and I can just lift that out without having to touch him.

Any advice?

He's being a normal scared little boy right now. New homes can be quite scarey at first, and for some hedgehogs it can take several weeks before they feel more comfortable. But don't let him intimidate you and continue to handle him. Get him into a routine.

You can use a fleece blanket to help you scoop him up. With those that are being particularly prickly, I place my hands facing upwards, one on each side of them, and then sweep under the hedgehog with both of them at the same time. Their quills really do not hurt that much, you'll get used to it after a while.

Awww... poor little guy. It's a huge transition going from the breeder's home to yours. Different routines, sights, sounds, smells, tastes (figure that even the water changes!)... It's not so easy to be a little hedgieboy.

Ditto to what Kalandra said about picking him up. Go for it... gently. Chances are he'll be in his hedgiebag when you go to get him, so you can slide your hand under the hedgiebag and scoop him up in it. Then just sit with him in his hedgiebag on your lap for awhile before sticking your hand in.

I've had a few very huffy hog situations where the only thing I could do is roll my little EXTREMELY upset ball of quills with one hand from their cage floor and into my other hand without being sure how hedgie was oriented. It's a touch pokey/painful, but is possible... and easier than trying to scoop hedgie up directly. I reserve that technique for when I have to pick them up and all other normal techniques fail as I can't imagine they enjoy being rolled around when they're already upset. I mention this only to say that, when push comes to shove, if you need to pick up hedgie and hedgie says "NO!!!" it's still possible to do it without injury to you or hedgie -- you'll be able to pick him up and clean up his pee tonight. It'll work. You'll be okay. So will he. -- But try the way Kalandra suggested first. Consider what I just wrote as the back-up plan.

I just scooped him up in his hedgie pouch and sat him in his carrier while I washed everything. Didn't seem to move at all, so I guess he's comfortable which is good. Also noticed while I was cleaning that couple of quills had come out, so that may explain why he's not too keen on me right now?

He's back in his cage now, still sleeping. Hopefully I can hang out with him some later tonight. Also put the shirt I slept in last night in the cage, as some people have suggested. We'll see what happens!

Just because, here's a picture from last night that had me amused.

1001185d.jpg

Quite true, if he is young and quilling, that can hurt and (in addition to everything being new in his life) would definitely explain any grumpiness. How old is he?

The litter was born on October 12th so that would make him a little more than 2 months.

Based on the amout of quills I found today (5-6), I'm guessing he is definitely quilling. My husband gave him a bath, as I know this can help ease their discomfort. He seemed to enjoy it after a while and it was adorable to watch. He's now snuggled in a pouch on the coffee table. Still a little skittish, but he seems to like my husband more than me, haha (typical).

Latest posts

Back