Dig, dig, dig...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoepgoed123

So lately Basil has restarted one of her old habits... digging... nonstop. I used to have kdp/aspen shavings but she'll take dig and kick out the shavings within a couple hours, so I switched to fleece liners. All of a sudden she started digging, been going on for a few days now. Now this digging is similar to how they dig right before rolling in the dust, except she'll sometimes just kick everything out (best way to describe it).

I'm just curious to what the root of this behavior could be?

Also if she does have a digging fixation can i provide something (besides dust) so that she could have fun digging without making a crazy big mess?(supervised)

I've our first chin, a beige male, now 8 years old, that does that so much, we just named him Digger, immediatly! He'll even dig at the crook of your arm, while holding him, or your chest, if you move him up higher! Loves the "valley's" of women, and will crawl in any shirt or blouse, if he feels there's room! Loves to go for "walks" around the house, on your shoulder, and makes no attempt to jump down - just balances there!
He's one of our best!

I've our first chin, a beige male, now 8 years old, that does that so much, we just named him Digger, immediatly! He'll even dig at the crook of your arm, while holding him, or your chest, if you move him up higher! Loves the "valley's" of women, and will crawl in any shirt or blouse, if he feels there's room! Loves to go for "walks" around the house, on your shoulder, and makes no attempt to jump down - just balances there!
He's one of our best!

Your lucky. I hope our babies will one day love us that much to do that.

I have a "digger", too. She has always been this way - I bred her so I know what her life has been like. she currently has two holes dug into her bedding with the bedding neatly piled between the holes. I use a cage that has high sides on the pan. She still does make some mess no matter what I do, though. I just live with it. She, too, likes to burrow into clothing.

The first baby I bred was a digger. I was using J feeders at the time, and the moment I'd pour pellets in - she would start digging and they would be gone after a couple minutes. She never dug shavings, though. Only food. Very annoying!

Baba digs in his bedding. He doesn't kick it out but he rolls in it like dust. I think he is just one of those boys that likes to get dirty. hehehe. I don't know the real root of it though. That would be interesting to find out.

He's one of our best!

You always have the best chin stories :heart3:

wow, I didn't realize so many people had diggers... does anybody have any toys that they use for their diggers? If Basil likes to dig then I would love to have a toy or something to allow her to have fun.

Back