Different pets with chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Hi guys! Quick question....i know rabbits are a no no around chins. I was thinking about getting couple of pet rats... Are they safe to be in the same household with chins?

Several people have rabbits and chins. Including me. You just don't let them come in contact with each other but then you generally don't let any pet come in contact with any other pet.

Yes, rats are safe to be in the same household as a chinchilla. Just make sure you wash your hands before handling the other.

I have birds, hamsters, cats and dogs, along with my chin, and as long as they are kept away from your furball, there aren't any problems. As already said, just make sure to wash your hands and that will minimize anything being passed along from one animal to the next.

I have rabbits and a dog is the house hold, as well as having mice and hamsters, and have never had a problem. As everyone else said, just be sanitary about it.

My chinchilla, Willow, and my dog, Toby, insist on seeing each other. They both get depressed if I don't allow them near each other.
Before anyone begins to lecture me, I know that chins can trigger a prey response, but if you met my Toby, you'd see in an instant there's no chance of that.
Toby is a big baby and scared of everything. Literally. He barked at a butterfly, and then barked at his echo. He has no prey drive at all, and if Willow gets too close, he crawls backwards out of fear.
The only thing in danger of Toby, is your face when your laying down and he wants petted. He loves 'sneak-attack' kisses.
If I believed that the safety of any of my babies (pets) were compromised, I would not allow them to be in the same room.

My dogs run past the cages to get outside all the time and we carry chins over their heads to get to the bathroom for exercise. Most of the time they don't even bother getting up. The only time it's a problem is when my husband talks in an excited voice to the chins and my akita gets jealous she's not involved in the attention.

I have a double FN with a female chin in the top level and my rats in the bottom. They have been this way for a long time and I've never had a problem. They dont even seem to know that anyone lives above/below them. They dont interact with each other of course, but living that close has been fine!

My chinchillas is totally fine with all my pets. I have a dog, guinea pigs, hamsters, turtles and tortoise. They dont have any issue with each other and nothing has gone wrong. My dog would never harm any of my other pets but can be very jealous.

Latest posts

Back