difference in color?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chy1820

chy1820
I was not sure where to put this but i was wondering what the difference is between tan and beige colors? how can you tell the difference?:hmm:

A tan has the ebony gene so the belly is not white. Depending on how much ebony is in the chin it can be anywhere from light tan with an off white belly to a dark tan where the belly is as dark as the rest of the coat. A beige has a white belly. Here is a picture of a tan so you can see the belly.
031-1-3_zps33463bef.jpg

Last edited:
Hetro beige only had 1 beige gene and can vary in color from a light to dark beige. A homo beige has 2 beige gens and is very light colored usally with brighter red eyes.

You can determine Hetero beige by simply looking at the pedigree. If only one parent carries the beige gene, any beige born will be Hetero. If both parents are beige,or at least carry the beige gene, then the beige offspring could be Homo. To validate for complete certainty that a beige is Homo, it needs to be bred and proven to carry the beige gene on to all of its offspring. Then you know for sure you have a Homo beige.

well when i got my chin at 12weeks old the lady said she was tan but when i looked the colors up when she was 5months i noticed the beige had a white chest in which mine has a lighter chest then the rest of her body? and then when i asked the lady for the colors of her mother and father she said the sire was tan white and the dam was beige?

So you either have a hetero or homo tan, or a hetero or homo tan white. You would almost have to breed it to know for certain.

Do both chins have pedigrees? What is your breeding goals for these chins? If you can't tell basic colors apart I would reconsider breeding till you do more research. Most people do not advise breeding that many genetic mutations together.

It sounds as though the backgrounds of your chins are a little sketchy at best. If you cannot verify the pedigrees of these 2 animals and get some good background information on these animals from whoever you got them, you should not breed them. Even though it is the only way to verify what exactly you have, it is not a good idea to breed animals you don't have good, solid background information on.

Latest posts

Back