Diarrhea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaDi

You Have No Idea!
Lordy. We had good solid poops for several days but now it is straight diarrhea!!! Like crazy diarrhea!!!

Starting with a little bit of really burned up toast, but what else do I need to do?

She is still being handfed and eats VERY LITTLE on her own!

I agree with Kansas City Chins that you should do the watery handfeeding to replenish fluids. Same as with a human, when there is diarrhea you lose fluids, and hydration is very important.

I personally, would also stop the Reglan.

Sometimes this happens when treating a sluggish gut - it is out of kilter & the gut bacteria will have been affected. It can yo-yo a few times before it gets back on track.

Increase the fibre - this is key - the gut needs plenty of fibre to push along. No alfalfa (it helps with constipation so would be counter-productive now) - if you have them you can give dried berry leaves (raspberry, blackberry, strawberry - they have astringent properties) because that continues to encourage foraging behaviour. A big handful a couple of times a day.
You can also add 1/2 capsule of activated charcoal to the feeds (available from health food shops etc).

Pectillin - this contains Kaolin (China clay) which helps with diarrhoea.

Keep going with the feeds & fluids. She needs the fibre in the CC & the fluids to replace what she is losing.

Probiotics - find the most billions you can & add that to the CC to help stabilise the gut flora.

No more Reglan.

If the diarrhoea is pouring out of her then she may well need subcut fluids.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks yall.

Yesterday I burned toast and scraped off the charcol part and mixed it with probiotic paste. She also got 10CC of pedialyt through out the day. She didn't show a lot of interest in the hand feeding, but I did get some in. By last night there were several formed, but wet poos.

This morning she only ate about 5Ml of Critical Care. Her food bowl was down 4 grams though! Some large poo was in the cage and then a number of normal size poo, still wet, but really well formed.

Today, after over 2 months, Skylar finally went back to her normal cage! I took out all the top shelves, so she only has the lower 4 right now. I will add more back as I monitor how she is navigating without her tail.

I have poo in the cage and I've seen her at the food bowl. Backing down to only morning and night handfeeding for a day or so as she is finally eating on her own again I dont want to discourage it.

I got some Orchard and Timmy hay in the cage as well as a Fiber cookie things from APD.

PRAYING things are going to finally look up from here on out!

Thank you everyone who has helped me along the way!

Back