Diarrhea + Vomit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachy_keen

Hi everyone,
This morning I dry patches of what I presume to be vomit and diarrhea. There is one diarrhea streak coming from his wheel (He's using fleece) and many patches of what look like vomit (not poo-smelling, and is close shade to his food) on top of the liner, and underneath it where he sleeps. His food is Wellness Indoor Health and Natural Balance Limited Ingredients diet. He always eats the wellness first so he only had natural balance for probably the last 2 nights. I also fed him meal worms so could he have eaten a bad one? Also I should add that I checked under his tail and you could see some poo on it.

So my question is: if this happens again tonight what should I do? And if it doesn't happen again,? I have him out now and he seems a little stiff or lethargic. Please help!

Make sure he isn't cold. What temperature are you keeping him at? It may be a temperature thing. If it persists, a vet visit may be in order.

How many mealworms are you giving him at a time? Too many at once can cause diarrhea.

Food should not be left in the dish more than 1 day and whats left in the dish the next evening, should be thrown out and fresh given. If they get saliva or water on the food, it can start to go rancid.

Is his belly nice and warm? Bump up his temperature a few degrees just to make sure. What type of heating are you using?

If he'es not cool, he may be sick. I suggest you bump up the heat, start giving him fresh food nightly, and if he continues to vomit and diarrhea, he needs to see a vet.

Update from last night: He was active throughout the whole night and did NOT throw up or have diarrhea. He had 2 small firm poops and was urinating normally. I do not know if he ate anything though- he tipped over his food dish. If he's not pooping normally tonight should I take him in then?
We have an extra heater in the room he's in so it's about 72 degrees in the room, however it sometimes gets turned off and I think it did on that night! He felt pretty normal on that night though but it may have changed.
I didn't know about the food though... I never read that before! I'll start doing that now. But how much should I fill up the food dish then?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!!

I give him about 3-4 mealies every night/every other night (I think thats more than normal but the doctor said he could gain a little weight). He had 3 that night but it was from a fairly new container so it might have been bad. I've not fed him any since.

Give him about a tablespoon and a half of food. You will get to know how much he eats in a night and you can give him just a wee bit more than that. You want there to be a few kibble left in the dish but if there is none left, then he needs a bit more.

Okay, thank you so much! The hog also sends his thanks :)
One more question though- is it okay to put a fleece blanket on his cage? so that the top of the cage, front, and partially the 2 sides, are covered (The back of the cage has no covering) ? I've been doing that recently to give him more privacy when he wants to come out but someone is in the room or something. But I fold up the blanket covering the front part when everyone goes to bed. Thanks again!!

That is a good idea if it is nighttime and your house stays up late or to help prevent a draft, as long as it isn't a fire hazard (I'm not sure what heating source you are using). 72F can be a tad cold for many hedgies (most prefer 74ish). He does still need regular hours of night and day. In our house we do 12 hours day and 12 hours night. 3 mealies every other night is fine with a lighter hog. Make sure they are live (if they came live) and are eating a fresh (or at least not rotten or contaminated) food source.

Back