diarrhea,help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

My boy chin Nemo is having a diarrhea, its so strange, nothing in his diet has changed, and only one healthy treat per day as usual. His poo is really fat, but the length is the same, its soft and watery on the outside. I just found it out today, what am I supposed to do?

He didn't lose his appetite, and I read somewhere else to only give him timothy hay right now?

Stop all pellets and try giving him hay for a few days along with acidophilus or activated charcoal. If it doesn't clear up in a couple days, a vet visit is in order.

If the poop is slimy or smells bad, get a stool sample to the vet right away.

This is the exact thing that just happened to me! Fat poops (the same length as usual) that are watery on the outside.

I took my chins to the vet and their poop tested positive for giardia.

This is the exact thing that just happened to me! Fat poops (the same length as usual) that are watery on the outside.

I took my chins to the vet and their poop tested positive for giardia.

Thanks, could you tell me what could cause giardia? Non of the human in our household is having giardia.

Many different things.

You could be giving them the wrong water. Maybe you didn't wash your hands and then touched them and you had it on your hands. There are so many ways it can be transmitted.

It requires medication to be treated. I'd get your chin to a vet to be tested so you can catch it early enough.

Many different things.

You could be giving them the wrong water. Maybe you didn't wash your hands and then touched them and you had it on your hands. There are so many ways it can be transmitted.

It requires medication to be treated. I'd get your chin to a vet to be tested so you can catch it early enough.
How long did you wait? I was gonna see what happens tomorrow, and if its still bad, I would take him the day after.

And is your chin better now after the treatment? God I might have to call sick from work then.:hair:

I noticed the fat poops on a Saturday and got my chins to the vet last Monday. I waited because no one was open on Sunday.

They still aren't well. It takes a long time to treat it.

Keep an eye on how often your sick chin is pooping. My chin got sick, had the fat poops, and then stopped eating. Now I am feeding him Critical Care. The last thing you want to deal with are intestinal issues.

Okay, I'm scared and worried, I will wait till tomorrow morning and if its still bad I would take him.
You said keep an eye on how often he poops, he doesn't poop as often as usual now, is it good or bad?
He still eats a little, but not much.
Thank you!

It's bad. I'd take him in even if it looks like it's getting better. After I fed Critical Care, my chin's poops looked normal again. But they still came back positive for giardia.

Update: I called the vet yesterday, this vet guy studied chinese herb medicine for 3 years and he told me to feed the chiin garlic skin for 2 or 3 days and if it didn't help, then take the chin over, as garlic skin is supposed to kill bacteria. So, I fed Nemo some yesterday through out the whole day and his poop firmed up a lot and getting better. And I will still keep an eye on him. He also said garlic skin is good for all kinds of not-so-serious diarrheas, so I thought maybe you guys would want to try it when it happens, since unlike western medicine, it has no side effects.

Based upon your situation, my major concern would be that you can't always tell whether your chin has giardia by looking at his poop. Giardia goes through phases where it is "active" and "dormant."

You don't need to use medications a vet prescribes, but I would at least get his poop to a laboratory so you know for sure whether he even has giardia, and then you can know whether he is successfully treated. If you give him the garlic, his poop looks better, and you stop giving him garlic, but he still has giardia and you don't know about it and don't treat it, he could die.

Latest posts

Back