Dexter the Monster!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainer51423

Full moon soon? Change of weather? Not sure what the cause but boy has Lil Dex been a terror the last 2 or 3 days!

He has figured out that he can lay up against the back of his wooden house and press himself onto the side of the cage and poop out through the side of the cage. He has also decided that after not chewing on the wooden house much at all, it is now time to demolish the structure lol. He is also making more use out of all the space in the cage than ever before...by that I mean he is racing around and jumping in places that he previously didn't show much interest in being in. Oh and did I forget to mention he is now sitting on top of his food bowl...no poop in there yet...but I expect to see there is shortly.

His personality hasn't changed much...still wags his tail and chatters when I go to his cage. He loves scritches but still won't let us pick him up.

Of all the places he could sleep in the cage he has taken to sleeping on a little wooden ledge rather than in his hammock or little wooden house. This is nothing new though.

I got him a pumice stone but he shows little interest in it...he seems more interested in kicking/pushing it off the top shelf down onto the safety hammock and watching it bounce from there to the bottom of the cage.

I'm going to go tomorrow and grab a couple pine branches or apple tree branches to put across the top of his cage to give him some extra stuff to chew/run/sleep on...I see others are doing that on here...I think he may enjoy those!

I wouldnt put the pumice stone or anything else on the top shelf that could be pushed off. He could get hurt if it hits him when its falling down.

He sounds like Maggie. She races around her cage like a maniac. And lately when i open the door she jumps on my shoulder. Its really cute but annoying sometimes if im just trying to do somthing quickley in her cage she wont stay in.

I can just picture him zooming around! Thank goodness mine only poop with their butt down...theres plenty of poo on the floor without them pooping through the bars! I dont think pine branches would be a good idea, but apple is safe! Maybe some hanging wood toys to keep him busy?? Sounds like he is a little ball of fun!

I can just picture him zooming around! Thank goodness mine only poop with their butt down...theres plenty of poo on the floor without them pooping through the bars! I dont think pine branches would be a good idea, but apple is safe! Maybe some hanging wood toys to keep him busy?? Sounds like he is a little ball of fun!

For some reason I was thinking someone on here said pine would be fine...I'll double check before I grab any branches to put in there. I was leaning more toward apple anyway as we have a large apple orchard on our property. I've put up a bunch of hanging toys, he doesn't seem too interested. I think his previous owner let him out to run around quite often...I'm working to get him a little play pen set up so that he can kind of come and go from the cage as he pleases. Right now his cage is in my home office, not a safe place for Mr. Dexter to run free without supervision! I figure if I can get a little play area set up for him to keep him contained in a safe area around his cage he will be a bit happier I hope!

I wouldnt put the pumice stone or anything else on the top shelf that could be pushed off. He could get hurt if it hits him when its falling down.

He sounds like Maggie. She races around her cage like a maniac. And lately when i open the door she jumps on my shoulder. Its really cute but annoying sometimes if im just trying to do somthing quickley in her cage she wont stay in.

Haha I don't have to worry about Dexter jumping on my shoulder for sure! He likes scritches and will allow some petting, but you should see it when we have to pick him up...he leans back and arches his pee lol....My wife is especially greatful that he has this talent! haha!

Not so much as pees on us...it's not like he arches it way up and it goes any distance...it is more of a when you lean in for the grab he pees at her a little but it doesn't go anywhere.

After typing the sentence above I did a quick Google search on how to sex Mr. Dexter, and he is indeed a he lol..unless this website isn't right anyway!

Pine has to be kiln dried in order for it to be safe. So pine in a hardware store that is white not green(that's the treated stuff) is safe. Just remember to boil the branches and bake them dry to kill off any thing on them.

Dexter sounds like he's gotten pretty comfortable sometimes it can take them a while to be 100% uber comfy not just ok comfy.

Back