Desperate

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilily88

I don't know if I'd classify as a new owner since I've had my chin for over a year, but I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere with him, so I'm posting in this thread.

I have my chinny Zippers in a spare room and I let him out every few days to run around. For a few months, he seemed to like me okay and would run across my legs or perch on my knees. But it seems like we're back to when I first got him; he doesn't want anything to do with me, he hides under the bed and I have to chase him for what seems like forever just to get him back in his cage. :banghead: I know you aren't supposed to chase or grab chinchillas so I really try not to do that but when it's been over 30 minutes and he won't go back in his cage, I'm at my wit's end. He can't be bribed with treats and he won't get in his dust bath if he thinks it's a trap. I haven't gotten a playpen for him because I feel like forcing him to be around me when he hates me will just make him more upset but I don't know what to do. I was on these forums when I first got him and people were saying it could take a year for a chin to warm up to its owner, but he still hasn't warmed up to me and I don't know what to do anymore. :cry3: Can someone please help?

Unfortunately as I think you know, you are hurting the relationship every time you chase him. You need to only let him out to play if the room is chin proofed, as in no where he can get under or into that you can't get him. I understand the not wanting a confined playpen, but if you at least block off an area with some pet fencing so he can't get anywhere you can't reach he can't hide. Cheap ideas for fencing or barriers if you don't want to buy fencing are boxes or those tri fold project boards people use for presentations. You can make a fairly large area with boxes, much bigger then those playpens, so you can easily sit in the area and you aren't forcing interaction.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I never thought of using cardboard to block off a play area until after my initial post when I found the thread about it. I had priced some play pens on Amazon but they all seemed small enough to where he could jump out and using something else didn't occur to me... :innocent: I'm going to get some cardboard this weekend and see how this goes!

Chins dont need play time. If the cage is large enough he will be fine staying in there. Catching him to do play time and to put him away can stress the relationship more than help. I would advise keeping him in the cage and working with him till hes easier for you to handle.

I would say the same as Brea (Dreamlite) Don't take your chin out of the cage until you have calm him down enough to handle him. At first don't even try to get him - just let him get use to your hand while you just leave your hand in the cage. Let him crawl all over your hand and learn to trust your hand first. When he does that for awhile, then use 1 finger at first and scratch his neck for a a second. Increase the time each day, the increase the fingers until you can scratch him with your whole hand. When he allows that try putting your hand over him. When he allows that, try picking him up for a few seconds each time, increasing the time. When he lets you pick him up for a few minutes you can try letting him out and see what happens when you go to get him. If he freaks out go back to the training.

Start back from the basics. First of all, I guess I'll be the first one to say it, it doesn't sound like you're giving him enough time to run and play. Most owners recommend an hour a day. I totally understand if you have a busy schedule and can't let him out EVERY day, but chinchillas are crazy. They need to run and hop and leap. This will wear him out, and if you're sitting in there with him, he will get used to your presence. The best advice I have found, as far as not chasing or grabbing them to catch them: have their cage in their play area. That may not always be possible, but my chinchilla and I have worked out a system. If I start reaching for her, she hops in her cage, gets an oat. It's working well. As far as bonding goes, like I was saying, start back to the basics. Try giving treats/toys through his cage bars. Put your fingers in there and let him smell and nibble you. Teach him his name. For me, bonding has started INSIDE the cage and worked its way out. I'm no chinchilla expert, but I started with an independent chinchilla, and we're not where I want to be yet but this stuff has worked for me!

Latest posts

Back