Depression and the Holidays

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annieo

Loving Pet Owner
It's the holidays!…and not to put a damper on anyone's spirits…it is also a GREAT time to look around and see if anyone you know that battles depression needs your help. Depression is a very complex and complicated disease. It is impossible to understand for most. I know I've fought it, mostly successfully, for 20 years. Times are hard out there these days, especially for those with a mental illness.

If you know someone with depression:

1. Educate yourself.
2. Let them know that help doesn't mean they lack moral character.
3. Be there if you say you will.
4. Take threats to themselves (or others) seriously.
5. Stay in contact. Sometimes it just takes a phone call, encouraging email, letter or personal visit.

Happy Holidays. Help a friend! :kiss:

Nice post, I have a few friends who suffer through bouts of depression..

Thanks Annie for this post. Good friends and family really help depression!

Awesome post and reminder, holidays can be really hard for people with depression. Someone to say "I see you and hear you" can make a huge difference

Great post.

If you or someone you care about exhibit signs of this disease, small changes to diet and routine can help control the symptoms while you work with a professional to keep your self/your loved one on track. An increase of Vit D has shown to help some sufferers of Seasonal Affective Disorder, a type of depression associated with lack of sunlight exposure. There is also study in progress about color and full-spectrum light therapies for balancing mood and managing symptoms. The most important thing is simply knowing someone cares, even when it's hard to be that person.

Love to all of you this holiday/winter season. :)

Back