Dental care for a 14 year old cat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I'll ask my vet about it when Sassy goes in for the GI blood panel.

Do you give her wet food already? I'm asking because as much as dental problems suck, they've found links between bad teeth and kidney failure. They suspect both problems are related to dehydration because cats are supposed to get the majority of their liquid from their food, and we tend to feed them dry kibble. I've bought my girls a fountain to encourage them to drink more, and they get about 3 oz. wet food a day, but they're hooked on kibble, so I can't get them to eat strictly wet. But so far, my kidney cat's levels are still "pre" problems, and the other one with most of her teeth gone hasn't had any additional decay come up, just by increasing her liquid intake. It's worth bringing up to your vet. I think I can get the articles my vet sited if you'd like. :)

I have been through feline dentals often. My Tolly, who gets resorptive lesions, and also has a seizure disorder for which he takes phenobarbital, is having another problem as of this evening. His last dental was only in February 2011. He's had many, usually with a few extractions, and doesn't have many teeth left. click here

Latest posts

Back