dear forum, from saudi arabia..is this bumblefoot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohi

guys is this bumblefoot or are they just really sore :( im really nervous about my baby nibbie....

latest photo today
http://imgur.com/a/5Ltcs

the yellow stuff is iodine

3 year ago photos

http://imgur.com/a/6GNuB left foot.....

http://imgur.com/a/1RsIM right foot....

forum i really need ur help since im all the way in saudi arabia and we literally have only one vet here that know's a bit about chins i trust him since he's been very good with us be basically performed a Pyometra surgery on one of my other chins and it was successful, i went to see him the other day and after googling bumblefoot on many forums online i saw everyone say baytril so i told him we need baytril he said no not necessary now...he gave me chlorexidine to wipe on the pads to keep it clean and told me to put soft paddings in the cage clean towels shirts ect since we have no fleeces in saudi arabia .....i also just ordered blu kote of amazon and hopefully the shop and ship aramex service doesn't give me crap about illegal products imported into stupid saudi arabia liquids ect....im so stressed and scared i don't want anything bad to happen to him, if he goes i will literally crash he is extremely important to me.....i feel so freaking guilty, his cage is ocd cleaned twice daily no wired floors just a flat solid cage bottom his bedding is in the corner of the cage which he doesn't sit on at all....... :( help....

They look more like pressure sores to me. Chins are not designed to sit on flat floors all the time. Perches (like you would buy for birds) and rounded ledges (lava ledges are great if you can get them) in the cage are best since they give rolling pressure over the foot instead of all the pressure on just the heels. Also make sure he has plenty of ledges to hop around on too so he isn't just sitting on the floor of the cage. You can also use clean rocks in the cage to get him more natural sitting spots, just make sure they don't have any sharp edges. Obviously make sure the cage can handle the weight of the rocks you use and clean the rocks regularly.

I wouldn't use any other fabric other then fleece, other fabrics can unravel into strings and threads which will cause a lot of gut issues (strangulated guts, blockage, etc) which can lead to death if swallowed. Maybe since you don't have fleece just use the bedding on the whole cage flooring so he isn't standing on hard surfaces for a bit. Or if you can, order fleece from somewhere else and have it shipped to you?

Also I don't know if you can get it there but bag balm works wonders on chins feet. If you don't have that try vitamin E caplets, poke a hole in the end of the gel cap and squeeze the liquid out, spread that on the feet, it helps repair skin.

They look more like pressure sores to me. Chins are not designed to sit on flat floors all the time. Perches (like you would buy for birds) and rounded ledges (lava ledges are great if you can get them) in the cage are best since they give rolling pressure over the foot instead of all the pressure on just the heels. Also make sure he has plenty of ledges to hop around on too so he isn't just sitting on the floor of the cage. You can also use clean rocks in the cage to get him more natural sitting spots, just make sure they don't have any sharp edges. Obviously make sure the cage can handle the weight of the rocks you use and clean the rocks regularly.

I wouldn't use any other fabric other then fleece, other fabrics can unravel into strings and threads which will cause a lot of gut issues (strangulated guts, blockage, etc) which can lead to death if swallowed. Maybe since you don't have fleece just use the bedding on the whole cage flooring so he isn't standing on hard surfaces for a bit. Or if you can, order fleece from somewhere else and have it shipped to you?

Also I don't know if you can get it there but bag balm works wonders on chins feet. If you don't have that try vitamin E caplets, poke a hole in the end of the gel cap and squeeze the liquid out, spread that on the feet, it helps repair skin.

Amethyst thank you so much for ur reply, ill go to the pet store here and see if i can find perches ledges for the time being, bag balm was something i was supposed to get ages ago but i slept on it which is my fault....ill see if i can order some online and hopefully it can come through.... im using something called cream 21 it has vitamin e and aloe vera in it i massage a little on there...but if vitamin e oil is better then ill go get some right now....

Amethyst please just take another look i took better photos just to confirm

http://imgur.com/a/IMijS 2 photos....ill try to order bagbalm right now and ill head to the pet store and pharmacy, please take another look and really thanks again...

did you get my last reply?

Yeah the feet still don't look that bad to me, just have some sores. That can easily turn in to bumble foot though, bumble foot is an infection in the foot pads, they don't look infected yet to me. Here is a good example of bumble foot for comparison. If you notice the blood and oozing yellowish puss coming out, and how swollen the feet are.

Latest posts

Back