Deaf chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chin_r_great

Could a chinchilla be deaf and if so what behavior would he expit? I don't think mine is but maybe this would be a good thing for other people.:)

I think the only obvious thing would be that they wouldnt react to sound. Like if you were like "Hi [insert chin's name]" they just wouldnt turn towards the sound. I could be wrong though, there could be tons more things, but this is just what I thought of.

I wonder though, would they make noise? There is a deaf boy at work and he never learned to actually speak. Apparently he can sort of grunt, but never learned to talk... so I wonder if a chin wouldn't squeak/bark/etc if it were deaf...

I think the only obvious thing would be that they wouldnt react to sound. Like if you were like "Hi [insert chin's name]" they just wouldnt turn towards the sound. I could be wrong though, there could be tons more things, but this is just what I thought of.

I wonder though, would they make noise? There is a deaf boy at work and he never learned to actually speak. Apparently he can sort of grunt, but never learned to talk... so I wonder if a chin wouldn't squeak/bark/etc if it were deaf...

I think it would squeak but not talk to the other chins. Like if it got hurt or scared it might make a sound.

I bet it would be kinda hard for some to tell, their chinchillas ignore them anyways :tease:

I would imagine if some loud bang occurred and the chin wasn't startled one bit (e.g didnt flinch at all) then you might have a deaf chin.

I wish I knew someone who had a deaf chinchilla because it would be very interesting to observe if there are other problems that it have while doing it's regular activities in the cage. If anyone knows someone who has a deaf chinchilla please post here but only if she/he lets you post the chinchilla story. Could you tell us what are some of things she does or expited that either came to your attention or maybe an accident that happened that could have cause the chinchilla to become deaf. I would like to know and I think everyone here would like to know also. This is mostly so we know how to treat a chinchilla that has this problem. I do feel very sorry for chinchillas that do have this disability and hope they are doing fine.
Many Thanks,
Al

I can't see that it would effect anything other than reacting to sound and possibly the sounds that the chin could make.

I would imagine if some loud bang occurred and the chin wasn't startled one bit (e.g didnt flinch at all) then you might have a deaf chin.

Hehe, not necessarily... My girl is very laid back and rarely does she react to loud noises. Now if I accidentaly bump her cage or rattle something in the cage that makes noise and shakes the cage then yes- she'll poke her head out and/or jump to her leap-n-ledge. But I have to tap on her wood house or fleece igloo to get her to pay attention sometimes. Otherwise, there is no movement or maybe she'll move her eyes or just move her head if there is a loud noise. She just doesn't care. BUT, crinkle the treat bag (shredded wheats) or move around the cherrios and she is there in one hop! haha

(She knows the sound of me walking down the stairs in the morning and will greet me at her door. She knows that before work I give her a pinch of shredded wheat. One day I forgot, and I looked back and she was standing on her back legs as tall as she could get staring me down! Of course, I went back... lol)

I was also thinking that it is possible they may have balance issues?

Last edited:
Back