Daytime Wheeling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaGirl

Expert Wheel Scrubber
Martin has acquired a new habit - daytime wheeling. He wheels in the morning while I am getting ready for work. I've heard him wheeling at 10 am, noon, 3 pm, 6 pm, and all night long. He wheels with an audience, with the lights on, and with the camera going! I've never had a hedgie that would wheel in front of me, let alone in the middle of the day! Does anyone else have a diurnal hog?

I pull my wheels during the day for cleaning.

Mine have barely come out from under her liner/out of his bag during the day. Satin was such a closet wheeler... I'm slightly jealous of your ability to watch Martin run!!

Do you get the feeling he just doesn't care if it's light or, due to loss of vision, he doesn't know it's light?

Kismet used to wheel whenever she felt like it, but that was because she was a diva and 100% blind. She had no clue it was daylight.

Enzo has her full vision and she just loves her wheel so much that she'll wheel anytime. Before I adopted her, she did not have a wheel. In fact, she had a 2-foot square cage to share with 2 other full grown hedgehogs. They had an igloo and bowls, that was it. When she came to my house, she didn't know what to do with a giant cage all to herself, with toys and a wheel. As soon as she figured out the wheel, she ran on it for nearly 6 hours straight one afternoon... I was doing housework and I could hear that wheel going all day. She took a quick nap and was up again when I turned the lights off, and back on the wheel. The thrill seems to have worn off for her, but she still gets up and wanders around whenever she pleases. If she hears me come into the room, she'll crawl out of her bag and make a point of checking her food bowl and hissing at me. I think it's a hint.

He seems to have very good vision, so I think it must be that he just doesn't care! He is so funny - it's hard for me to find a good time to clean his wheel. He gets so put out if he comes out to wheel and it's not there.

That kinda sounds like Tylda... the off putting comment. Any time she is put back in her cage, she must check that all of her stuff is in her cage. She checks her bed, water bowl, food bowl, wheel, tube, toys.... She runs around like mad just looking at everything, and once she decides it is all there, she settles down. If something is missing, she continues to look for it for a bit. Then will go eat, or go to bed... but if she hears me in the room, she will get back up every so often to see if I have returned it.

Back