Dance of the Envelope

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cute! but there are some things about your chin's cage that definitely need changing:

- the plastic shelves need replaced. best thing to use is kiln dried pine boards. there is a tutorial here on the forum on how to make your own wood shelves. plastic poses an impaction hazard if a chin where to chew and eat pieces of it, and chins that have never chewed plastic can start at any time, so it's not worth the risk.

- the ramps need to be removed immediately. the spaces in the wire grids are exactly the right size to trap chin toes. very dangerous. plus, chins jump from place to place and don't need ramps anyway.

- the hay ball is an entrapment hazard. the spaces are just right that your chin's head could get stuck, or a leg could get stuck. better to use something else for hay. metal coop cups (like what you would use for a bird), thick glass canisters, a wooden hay box, or even a small fleece bag would work well.

Adorable!! I agree with ChinnyMom, though. If you don't want to make the shelves yourself there are some people on the forum who sell them for reasonable prices. Same goes for hay holders. There are advertisements that scroll across the top of the screen (just under the Chins n Hedgies logo) so you can shop around and see what everyone is selling. Also, what is the bottom pan of your cage made of? I only ask since the shelves are plastic. If you have a plastic one and need to replace it, Bass Equipment makes great stuff (http://www.bassequipment.com/default.aspx). Everyone makes these mistakes at first, so don't be insulted. There is just so much bad information out there about chins! I see you are relatively new so welcome to CnH! You are definitely in the right place! :)

Last edited:
I already replaced the hay ball, i used their old wood house that i replaced after upgrading to a bigger sleeping place. I'm working on the shelves at the moment, a friend of mine is building them for me this weekend :) I'll try and get pics to show the updated house when I can

Back