Dallas, Texas Vets?????????

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustbunnies

Mama of Pepper and Bunny
I live in North Dallas. I have a vet that is not bad, but I want to know if any one out there knows of a particularly good chin vet in the area ....PLEASE let me know

Dear Dustbunnies,
I used you work for a veternarian who deals not only with dogs, cats, horses, but is VERY good with exotics ! (She prefers them :)
Her name is Dr. Valerie Jaffe -Also Dr. Lydia Grace (BOTH Fantastic !)(Same Practice).
Red Oak, TX - 20 miles south of Dallas, on the I-35 service road (Countryside Veternary Clinic) Ph # 972-223-5641 I have COMPLETE faith in BOTH of these Veternarians !
Hope This Helps, Very Best, Grace

Dr Bonnie Bloom is an exceptional pet dentist, and she does treat chinchillas with Malo.

She offices in both Dallas (on Tue) and Arlington (Rest of the time)

http://www.mypetdental.com

I have given up on our vet, he says he specializes in exotics, but we have lost 2 chinnies (me and a friend) under his care. The first one we assumed was just his malo getting the better of him, and he was very small to start. But my Caeli got malo treated by an amazing dentist (see above) and was actually chubby when she started having eating difficulties. My vet misdiagnosed her after her surgery with GI stasis because she wasn't eating or pooping and had her on two meds for that. She passed from a fever, an infection, that he didn't even check for. I was up from Friday to Sunday hand feeding her, rubbing her belly, and loving on her trying to nurse her back to health... and nothing. :( He wouldn't even call me back, I took her to him on FRIDAY! Oral antibiotics may have saved her... he did give her a shot with antibiotic and fluids though... at least he did that.

I JUST found out that you can take a chins temperature (from the ER vet) and that the ears only indicate if they are hot, not if they have an actual fever.

I am currently in the market for a new vet. I am taking the new baby to a vet near me (in Plano) that supposedly does chinchillas, I'll let everyone know how she is. :)

My new vet is pretty knowledgeable. Not amazing, but not an idiot. She works at Carrollton West Pet Hospital. She is one of 6 or so people that have been trained in chins in the state by vet experts at A&M. The only thing annoying is that she doesn't think Baytril causes them to go off their feed even though it happened to both of my chins. They were not under her care at that moment, however. The e-vet in southlake sees exotics in a pinch. They managed to give one of mine IV fluids and it saved her life.

The vet I took her to today actually talked about an A&M certification and how much she likes the Southlake crew. Apparently one of the vets there is the lead exotics expert from A&M or something... that says a lot. :)

The e-vet's wife is the hot shot from A & M, but she doesn't work here. He was a jerk and reamed me for referencing this forum, but he was fairly competent. I did NOT have good experiences at Dr. Moore's which is the regular vet down the street from that. Their A/C didn't work on top of that. He is supposed to be one of the well trained guys, too, but he was never in the office and I had to wait for hours in poor a/c with a chin when I HAD and Appointment!

Anyway, my vet is nicer and closer to both of us.

Latest posts

Back