Custom Cage Works

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethany

Does anyone have one of their cages? I saw the faqs that it is a recomended cage, but want to know how good it is. Is powder coated worth the extra cost long term?

I'm considering saving up to buy this cage: http://www.cageworks.com/cages/40/product.php?id=243

I'm thinking that I could use industrial strength velcro for any ledges that I wanted to go from the metal divider to the wire. Any thoughts comments or suggestions?

I like the idea of this cage because of the metal dividers and saving floor space. Plus I actually like my wire Martins cage better than my FN.

I personally like cages to be at least 36x24. I would have it shipped guted (w/out the wire floors) so I'm going to get a price quote on how much it would be to make each individual cage wider and possibly 36 inches tall as well.

I like there cages alot. I have 2 stacks. One stack consists of 4 runs (3 holes per run for a total of 12 holes). The other stack is my grower cage set. There are 12 holes in that stack.

Each run or cage cost me roughly $200 which I think is a little pricey. Shipping was roughly $60-$85 per run.

Overall I am happy with them. If there was a bent pan they replaced it quickly.

I am actually going to be making my own cages that will look just like theirs. I am hoping it will save me some money. At least the shipping costs.
Which reminds me I've got to get busy. I've got about 6-8 litters due the beginning of September. I will need some grower cages real soon.

Jessica

Not a fan at all. I think they are cheaply made out of weak wire. If you even push on the sides, they bend. I was expecting DeMar's quality and got Wal-Mart quality instead. The doors are very small, you can't fit houses in them unless you custom make them. The handles break off of the trays very easily if you pull too hard. The trays are very flimsy and bend all over the place. The feeders have no bent edges. I've had my arms ripped open by these things more times than I can count, so have my kids. They are as sharp as the edge of a piece of glass.

Oh, another pet peeve, there is no opening in the back. If you use shavings they just pile up behind the tray and have nowhere to go. I am switching over to all wire from Ryerson's runs (too dark, too small), but the really good thing they had was the back of the runs have about a 1-1/2 - 2 inch gap so the shavings can fall out and down behind. I have a lot of diggers and they throw their shavings to the back of the cages. It is a total PIA to get those shavings out of there, unless you want to lug a shop vac around to each cage.

Even the latches are cheap. They bend easy and you can't bend them back, then the chins escape all over the place.

I wouldn't recommend them to anybody and I've got over $1800.00 in the ones I ordered.

Tunes are you making your own runs? I like the 14 gauge wire better than the 16 but is probably a B^%$$ to work with. I think I am going to do something different in the back with the shaving issue. That is a royal PIA.

Jessica

Glad to know they are junk before I wasted my money. I thought I remembered you saying that before, but wanted to make sure.

I think I may see if I can order the metal dividers and some pans from Bass and make my own. I made all my rabbit cages so I have the stuff, but if theirs are flimsy I can do that a lot cheaper.

Yep, 14 gauge here. Something you might want to consider investing in is electric shears. I know I only need X amount of cages right now, but in time this one will need replaced or I might need to add that one. The money would be well worth it to save on the wear and tear on your body.

Back