Currently doing an intro

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceChinnie

So I'm currently trying to intro my two female chins Kiwi and Cookie using the cage within a cage method. I'm need to doublecheck with you all that i've done everything I can to give it the best chance.

Here's what I've done:
Cleaned out the top half of a FN to be neutral. (scrubbed like mad)
Took out all "stuff" from either chin and put in fresh chew toys and hay.
I trimmed the whiskers of both to 1 inch.
Dabbed vanilla above nose and on base of tail.
Put more agressive chin in show cage and less agressive free to roam the rest of the top half FN.

So far Kiwi (agressive) has been in the small cage for the last couple hours. A little sniffing and whining by both has been done and it looks to be alright for now. How often should they be switched?

To give Kiwi a little break I just switched them, and now there seems to be a lot more spraying fits (from both chins)and some barking, as opposed to the almost dead silence when Kiwi was in the little cage. Is this normal? Or if there is spraying/angry barks, should I put Kiwi back in little cage?

This intro stuff really is nerve racking. Please advise.
Thanks!
SpaceChinnie

I switch every 6-12 hours for about 3-4 days with open trial runs in between. If one or the other chin starts getting too energetic, or if one of them NEEDS a break, in goes a chin back to the cage within a cage for another block of time.

Also, spraying is normal. Be concerned with biting and blood. Make sure they both have plenty of hiding spaces and ways to escape from an attack.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the reply. I've been switching out at 8hr intervals, and it seems to be going well. I havent tried playtime yet when both are out, but I did some individual playtime to give each a break.

How do you tell when they are done? (sounds like I'm bakeing a cake right? Is it done yet?) When mutual playtime goes well without any scuffles, is that time to take out the little cage and let them have the big cage at the same time?

Thanks again for the help.
SpaceChinnie

So far the method seems to be going well, but how do you know when it is time to stop doing the cage within a cage? I have been doing playtime and there are still a few minor kaks/barks, but very very sparsely.

Its been almost 4 days so far...how much longer do you think? Or what are the stopping signs?
Thanks
SpaceChinnie;)

I guess in a shameless effort to get an answer as to "how to tell if the bonding process is complete" (or at least I can stop using the tiny cage)...I will post a couple of progress pictures for the general chinny audience. Please help, thanks :thumbsup: (sorry if the img's are huge, I'm still learning)

Day 3 (prison mates)(Cookie on top, Kiwi inside)
CIMG2277.jpg

This is day 4...
CIMG2291.jpg

CIMG2284.jpg

CIMG2290.jpg

They sure look cute together, but I dont know when it's safe to let them be in a cage all day together. I need your advice! Please!

Sincerely,
SC

Last edited:
From what you have told us and the pictures, I would try putting them in a neutral cage. You can take one of their cages and thoroughly clean it and rearrange it the shelves, hides, etc. Make sure there is plenty of places for them to hide from each other. Do this when you can be home to keep an eye on them, just in case you need to separate.

Thanks for the reply Cuddle Bug! I will give that a try tonight, I think they might be ready. Play times have been getting progressively better.

Back