Crusty eyes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chintastic!

Has anyone experienced crusty eyes? I just noticed it with one of my females in the last week. It reminds me of what I call "sleep" in your eyes. Could it be the start of a URI? They look like little white crustys I guess.

ETA: she is eating fine, pooping fine, hasnt lost weight(actually gained a few grams)

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 63
eye issues can be many things from simply dust or hay in the eye to an URI to malo. Mucous, wheezing, and sneezing are generally present with a URI. I would keep a close eye on her--no pun intended. Make sure she is not sneezing or wheezing or no mucous from her nose is present. If she is eating and drinking normally, pooing normally then it could just have been something stuck in her eye and it is now gone.

Does she live alone???

Mr. Whiskers and The Snuggler groom each others' eyes regularly. Since Little Two Paws lives alone, and has only 1 front paw, I notice that he sometimes gets a little sleep in his eyes, and a tiny amount of what I call "chinnie boogers" on his nose, which I groom for him with a tissue. He goes through the motions of cleaning his whiskers and doing a nose swipe, but has only a right front paw with which to groom, so it's not the best job.

She lives with three other girls. I'm hoping that it's just something irritating the eye, but she has had it for about 5 days or so?

Sometimes if their eyes are a little watery before dusting the dust will collect there, or if they get a little dust in their eyes it will make it water and collect the dust.

Ok, Now one of my males is also showing signs, he's lost about 20 grams in the last two weeks and has what looks like a runny nose. I'm making a vet appointment asap.

She is pretty, but I have to warn you about that bridge, a chin with a bridge like that with the missing parts that leaves a gap like yours broke its leg, dangled and died from shock, so you should remove it or replace the missing parts.

She is pretty, but I have to warn you about that bridge, a chin with a bridge like that with the missing parts that leaves a gap like yours broke its leg, dangled and died from shock, so you should remove it or replace the missing parts.

Im waiting for the wood im going to use to replace the parts, but thanks for the concern, I will take it out until I get them and fix it. They literally chewed right through the sticks on the bridge.

We went to the vet and he thought gave him SMTZ Suspension? .3ml twice daily. Then eye drops tobramycin Ophthalmic soultion USP. Pepperoni also has had tiny poos. After listening to his stomach and feeling he said that it appeared he wasnt eating- no gut sounds and he couldnt feel anything in the bowel. He also recommended critical care(which Pep hates, even with black strap) so he said to try adding a tiny bit of gatorade or something without citric acid. I havnt done this but got a bottle just in case, it didnt sound right to me. I also have pumpkin puree. Anyone have any suggestions or comments? Thanks

ETA: took the girl too and he said that she didnt appear to have any problems now and there havnt been any crust since. He said if I wanted to I could always give her a drop of artifical tears to flush out anything stuck in there.

Last edited:
Back