Crocheting Seagrass Floor Mats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morganpanda

I'm really excited about this. I found a seller who sells seagrass rope by the foot at a reasonable size to crochet with. I have this idea to cover the two other wire shelves that aren't currently covered in Sigma's cage with little, edible seagrass mats. He loves this stuff. I might even try to get an idea to make a seagrass tunnel or hay holder, and just stuff it with hay.

I was wondering if it was safe for the chins to chew. I know that they're used in the toys that you make, but I didn't know if too much was too bad.

Will post pictures of progress, if you'd like. I have to order the rope first and figure out how much I'm going to need since shipping is a bit steep for where I live.
:)

I think it could work, as it is fine for them to chew - but you also have to remember that they will probably poop and pee on it as well. Just something to consider.

probably poop and pee on it as well. Just something to consider

Yep, I could see hours of seagrass matt crocheting being done only to have the chin say "HEY NEW TOILET" within the first 30 min, ask how I know, 16.00 oxbow grass tunnel turned into a sopping wet toilet in 30 min.

That sounds like an adorable idea but ohmygoodness something like that wouldn't last the night in my boys' cage! They would shred it completely and then pee on the remains XD

XD
Oh you all bring up a brilliant point.

Sigma is quite destructive.
I guess I'll just stick to fleece- but one could only dream. Haha.

Where did you find the seagrass rope? I would like to try that, lil annie she loves to chew seagrass. It shouldn't take to long to make it, I wonder if you could use sisal?

Latest posts

Back