Critter Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TillyChinchilla

I wished they had made more chin-safe changes, especially since they have chins pictures.

What do you think? Would you order it over the Ferret Nation? Still plastic, still the same (I think?) ramps. Just different bar spacing, you also don't have to use tools to put it together.

Critter Nation

P118705.jpg

Last edited:
The dementions are slightly different as well.

I don't think I would take it for my chins, as it would just promote Fuzzy to climb the wires more often and I would not be able to scritch him as well.

It does have more of an easier layout for hanging things, with the smaller spacing, like more shelves, ledges, but I would not give up the FN.

They have that cage on petstreetmall.com in all three sizes. Slightly different dimensions then the FN 142 and almost $100 more! I think the FN is on permanent sale there and free shipping.

No tools are required to build the CN. Which is nice. Prefer the FN though for pricing reasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bar spacing makes it baby safe (?). That's the only advantage I see. Otherwise, why spend the extra money?

Also, not quite sure why they made it different dimensions. Doesn't it seem like it would have been a good idea to allow people to combine the FN with the CN...like have a FN add-on to a CN or vice-versa? Oh well!

Last edited:
It is really disappointing that they didn't make it more chin safe with metal pans. It will still need as much modification as the FN...I see no advantage. I don't think they listened to the chin owners very well. I really don't want my chin climbing around on the bars and the wider bar spacing on the FN makes it easier to see our chins LOL.

I bought the Critter Nation Double cage after trying to find the right cage for my chins. They absolutely love it, and I loved it too until last week. I have a younger chin (about 18 weeks old now) and I left the ladders in the cage. They did fine with them until last week when I found Eve hanging from one by her hind leg. I did not find her right away, and her leg had snapped in half at the ankle. Her leg had to be amputated. This was the most horrible day of my life (and hers) and I am sick about it. I had asked my uncle to make me wooden shelves for it so that they could get from the bottom level to the top, but he hadn't gotten to it yet. I have written to the company pleading to them NOT to market this for chinchillas until the make new SOLID ramps with some sort of foothold. I didn't know any better, and I am sure there are others out there who don't know either. I learned the hard way and I hope no others have to learn the way I did!!
Eve is doing well. We have a long way to go til full recovery, but I am happy I was able to save her life. Would I suggest this cage? Yes. But it has to be modified. Metal pans would be nice, but my chins have not bothered with them. It would be baby safe with the bar spacing. It is a very pretty cage and with a few modifications it is safe.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 40
I believe, originally, Midwest was going to make cages specific for all types of small animals: chinchillas, rats, sugar gliders, etc. However, the price of metal went up drastically and the cost of producing numerous different cages became unfeasible. So, they compromised, put out the Critter Nation which is supposed to be suitable for all small animals, with the smaller bar spacing that the rat and glider owners wanted. Last I heard, they were going to market critter specific modification packs - i.e. a Chinchilla pack to go with the Critter Nation that had additional ledges and such, a Rat pack, etc. I haven't heard anything more on this in quite a while, and my guess is the Critter Nation, as it is, is the final product. It is nice for rat owners, who previously had to wrap the FNs with wire mesh to keep rats from fitting through the bars, but the FN size and bar spacing is suitable for adolescent and adult chins as is.

The Critter Nation's bar spacing, while smaller, it's still not baby safe.

The one thing I do like about the CN for chins versus the FN is that the bars are horizontal instead of vertical, giving you more options to place ledges, shelves, hammocks, etc.

Last edited:
Love my FNs. Couldn;t do the CN for two reasons: price, and bar spacing. I baby-proofed my FNs with 1/4 hardware cloth on all surfaces. Still good visibility, and protection for the kits.

Brandon...there are no tools needed for the FN.

Suggestion: I did use the handle of a rubber gripped hammer to tap the roof on - just to ensure that everything was connected:hammer:

If you have an electric drill and screwdriver assortment you can put it (the FN 142) together in half an hour unless you're assembly disinclined.

Back