Critter Nation vs Ferret Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty0726

I just can't decide which one would be best. My first chin will be under 6 months of age. If I go CN, I will be getting a single unit, and if FN I will probably go for the double, because I found a good deal. I found a good deal on both, but the price for FN is my absolute max I can even spend on a cage right now.

1) Will it be okay to let a young chinchilla under 6 months go on a 2nd floor?

2)I have heard awful things about the CN rusting and bars breaking?

3)Does the FN bars break like the CN?

4)Does the FN add on unit 183 fit a CN? I saw on a couple websites that it said it was compatible with CN models, and a couple that said its was just compatible with the FN 181, 182 models.

Sorry it's taken so long for somebody to answer you...hope this helps a little:

1) I would personally keep a single chinchilla, under the age of 6mos, in a single unit of the FN until it reaches 6mos
2) The CN has it's purpose, it's a great cage for little/baby chins...but otherwise, in the long run you will end up with busted bars especially if you try to attach a large chin wheel
3) I've never had a busted FN bar and I've got tons of the FN142's & 143's
4) I'm not 100% sure on this as I've honestly never tried...I THINK they probably are but would wait for someone with actual experience to comment on this if it's important to your decision :)

I agree with the above, just adding that since you found a good deal on FN double unit to get that as it is a better cage in my opinion.

I have the double unit and just recently got a 2 and 3.5 month old babies and I have them isolated to the top half of the cage right now until they are older. I also have it baby proofed with hardware cloth that I am probably going to take down in a couple weeks as the youngest gets a little bigger (right now he weighs 255grams and the other is 365 grams). The bigger guy can not fit through 1" bar spacing. I've also heard of people putting in 8 week olds that weigh 235+ grams with no issues, but I personally would rather be safer than sorry. So if you order the FN I would get some 1/2inch hardware cloth and small zipties to baby proof it for a month or so.

Money and frustration wise I think you are better off with the FN since as said the CN bars don't handle the weight as wells (they are thinner then on the FN) so the do snap. You will most likely need to baby proof the FN though since young chins can literally walk right though the 1" bars, or worse not fit completely and end up stuck and/or strangled. So if money is a real issue you might want to go with a single FN and get some hardware cloth or chicken wire to baby proof it and buy the add on later when the chin is bigger since it's safer to keep kits in a single level with low shelves until they grow and get a bit less clumsy. (of coarse in the long run it's cheaper to just go with a double right off the bat and block off and baby proof one level until later since the single plus an add on costs more then a double)
I doubt that the FN add on fits CN cages since the CN cage is not the same depth, 24" deep instead of 25".

Critter nation 161, 162, 163 are compatible with Ferret nation 181, 182, 183. However, they are not compatible with the older models 141, 142, 143. The older model FN is held together by bolts and is much sturdier in my opinion. If you are not pressed for time, I suggest looking on craigslist to find an older model FN. Kits over 225 grams should not be able to get through the bar spacing.

thats okay, I picked up my chin yesterday, She is 8 weeks exactly tomorrow, I bought her from a pet shop, Her name is Ember, she is a Standard Grey, and I am in love with her already.

I ended up buying the Ferret Nation 182, because I found a good deal online with fast shipping. I asked the woman who primarily cares for the chins at the pet shop as well as she has two at her home herself about the bar spacing, they use 1 inch bar spacing at the pet shop and its perfectly fine. She is 300 grams and cannot fit through the bars.

I am happy with my purchase, I think I found a great cage for a great price, and I am so happy to have her, so that she can live a happy healthy forever home

uqe8u7et.jpg

Adorable! Are you going to close off the hole so she is isolated to half of the FN until she gets a little older?

Also how many layers of fleece is on the second level? When she is on it, does it not sink into the holes? If your interested, you can order bass pans to put the fleece in and has poo guards as well to contain the mess. I believe the website is bassequipment.com you can get the galvanized color/ material the bars are or stainless steel. They are really nice and most people with FN's get them!

Do you have a name for her yet?

Adorable! Are you going to close off the hole so she is isolated to half of the FN until she gets a little older?

Also how many layers of fleece is on the second level? When she is on it, does it not sink into the holes? If your interested, you can order bass pans to put the fleece in and has poo guards as well to contain the mess. I believe the website is bassequipment.com you can get the galvanized color/ material the bars are or stainless steel. They are really nice and most people with FN's get them!

Do you have a name for her yet?

They are pillow case style fleece liners with a towel in between for 2 level and main pans, so its a little thick and I had to sew them by hand, so it took awhile and I couldnt get them exactly perfect yet.

I will eventually get bass pans, but not until I have extra funds.

Her name is Ember, like fire. I was trying to think of something more exotic, but I was thinking how charcoal and ashey she looked, and the name Ember just came to me. She is such a sweetie, she lets me pet her. My boyfriend woke up in the middle of the night and heard her playing in her cage running around.

The top was blocked off last night, I am doing a trial, supervised run of her going into the top to see how she does.

Latest posts

Back