Critter Nation steal!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinChiq

I just bought a used CN 162 double unit cage from Craigslist for $100! It is in excellent condition, looks brand new except for a few nibbles on the pans. All I had to do was wipe it down because it was a little dusty. Luna is exploring her new huge home!!

That's a great price. You should think about using the money you saved to buy metal pans for it from http://bassequipment.com They can make the pans custom so they'll fit in easier as the critter nation is slightly smaller than the ferret nation. The bass pans are metal so they can't chew on them.

Or fleece them! Do you know the history of the cage? I've read that it's recommended to give any newly acquired cage a REALLY thorough cleaning before putting a chin in it, since they are likely to explore every crevice and find any residual anything (dirt, bacteria, food traces, feces traces) that may have been left behind.

That is an awesome steal though! Super jealous! I can't wait until I can afford another FN to go double wide with (I currently have one double FN)

Yes, I will be covering the pans in fleece. I have some large pieces from her old cage that I will be able to use as temporary covers until I can rustle up some custom ones. For now I made sure to cover the one ladder that I am using in the cage with fleece. Luna wasn't too keen on using a ledge to get between the 2 levels, so I put that ladder in after covering it and she is moving between the levels much more now.

The cage was used to house a pair of chins that decided that they no longer liked each other. The CN became too much and too heavy for the owner to upkeep so she moved them to 2 separate smaller cages. There were no health issues with either of the previous chins, and it was obvious that the cage was thoroughly cleaned before it was put into storage. I wiped it down really well with a vinegar solution to make sure it was nice and clean before putting my Luna in it.

If the ramp cover has velcro on it make sure she doesn't chew the velcro off and the cover not come off of the ladder. My chin chewed off the velcro on a ramp cover and the cover slid down during the night and he broke his leg from getting it caught in the ladder and it had to be amputated. Just don't want your baby getting hurt like my poor Finley did.

That's a great point Lindsey. Luckily, I did not use velcro for the ramp cover. I sewed the long seam and use metal clips to secure it to the top and bottom of the ramp. So far it is holding up perfectly and Luna is using it to get between levels easily.

Latest posts

Back