Critter Nation cages breaking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mknoblich1

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with their critter nation cage that I've had. I've got lots of shelves in that I made with poplar. My chins like to use them as springboards and the vertical pieces of metal that make up the outside of the cage are starting to break. Now I'm moving the shelves around when the bars break. Has this happened to anyone else with a critter nation? What about a ferret nation. I'll buy a new cage when I need to just don't want to continue to have the same problems if I can help it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 56
I have created my own pieces too for a ferret nation cage. Some of my pieces are like yours, some are much heavier. Yet I have had them in the cage for 5 months now without any problems.
I guess the question that needs to be asked is how many mounts do you have for each board to the cage, the more you have for each shelving, the less stress you place on the bars.

I have 4 FN's 142s and 2 CN's 162s. The bars on the CN's are thinner and are more prone to breaking. Wooden shelves will act like spring boards in them and will break the vertical bars quite easily. On the other hand FN's bars are much thicker and I am yet to have a single bar break on a FN. IMO the CN's are a much better fit for kits to be born in or to grow up in due to the fact that you don't really want a lot of shelves in with kits anyhow, plus the bar spacing is just right for kits. But the FN's are superior in just about all other areas.

Thank you

Two things, nice cage and thank you both. I think I'll probably just but a new fn cage to make it easier to introduce my new chin to my chins now in a neutral cage. It will be nice to not watch my girls not practice for the Olympic diving team every night :blueblob::blueblob:

Latest posts

Back