Critique my cage please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmo

Even though my 9 week old chin isn't ready for the upper levels, I built them, bu have the drawbridge up so it can't climb past the first level! But anyways, please let me know what you think! I have a chin spin and some more hammocks on the way, the pine levels are notched for grip!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345949336.563767.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345949363.967939.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345949394.266847.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345949435.491097.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345949486.995210.jpg

The cage will be elevated past chihuahua level;)

It looks good! I am not sure how attached you are to the ramps, since it looks like you put some work into them! But chins don't really need ramps; they jump from shelf to shelf. And you may be surprised at how far they can jump! Its good to have a hammock maybe halfway up the cage, so in case they miss a jump, they don't fall as far. Also, I can't see that well, but is the hammock currently towards the bottom of the cage made out of fleece? If not, it should be removed. The tabs and edging on ferret hammocks aren't safe for chins as they can chew it easily and ingest it.

Good for you for being so prepared and asking for a critique! I think you have a very lucky chin. :))

It looks good! I am not sure how attached you are to the ramps, since it looks like you put some work into them! But chins don't really need ramps; they jump from shelf to shelf. And you may be surprised at how far they can jump! Its good to have a hammock maybe halfway up the cage, so in case they miss a jump, they don't fall as far. Also, I can't see that well, but is the hammock currently towards the bottom of the cage made out of fleece? If not, it should be removed. The tabs and edging on ferret hammocks aren't safe for chins as they can chew it easily and ingest it.

Good for you for being so prepared and asking for a critique! I think you have a very lucky chin. :))

****, you read so much and miss the obvious, ok, hammock removed and I'll just mod the ramps into different shelves. After watching her tonight, she definitely is a hopper like you said.

Thx, I'd much rather have the pro's critique it than find out by injured chin what I shouldn't have done. Like buy these ferret fleeces. Oh well;) thanks for the help

Looks like a fun, happy home! I would figure out how to change the ramps into shelves that stagger around instead. Like Kate said above, they prefer to jump!

My first thought would be to either make a little fleece slip cover for the door while he's out, or just lay a peice of fleece on top of it. I have seen chins get their feet caught in those doors while trying to get back in the cage at playtime.

I used a small hammock and just left it attached to the door when my Evie was in quarantine.

100_5796-1.jpg

This may be a dumb question, but the ferret hammock is mostly fleece except the back! Can I just sew a fleece cover around it?

It's the straps that make it a bad buy, they chew through those little cloth straps in about 3 minutes.
Fleece hammocks usually just have grommets in the corners, no straps for chewing.

Got 4 yards of fleece, cheetah and tiger print with black picked out by son! Gonna attempt to sew;) 1 large hammock for a catch net 1/2 way down as suggested, another hammock and sleep box! Got a few more 1x8s for some more ledges!

Gonna use these carabiners to attach to the cage and just use fleece loops so I can make extras and swap them out for easy cleaning! Any suggestions?

Also gonna make some twigs! I have apple pear cherry and peach trees, just need ro research what ones are safe. Never been sprayed;)
aee70345-9717-e3c7.jpg

Last edited:
Misty! Lol what's a grommet? I haven't sewn since 6 th grade and that was awhile ago! Not real sure how I have a sewing machine, think it was left a some point, but I do!

a grommet is a metal circle with a hole in it, put on fabric to attach that fabric item to something else.

some cage critque:

the fluffy stuff in the big cardboard tube on the cage floor needs to be taken out - chins should not have that stuff as they can chew/ingest it and get an impaction.

those wood huts, i think they are made of plywood, and plywood is not chin safe due to the glues used.

the almond in the middle of the 'nut knot nibbler' should be removed - nuts are not good for chins due to the high fat content. could cause liver issues.

the hammock, good that you removed it. the cube hanging house i think has the same nylon straps. better take that out too.

carefresh bedding - same issue as the yellow fluff in the tube, chins can chew/ingest it and get an impaction. much better to use pine or aspen shavings or a fleece liner on the cage floor. being as the cage base is plastic (something chins should never have access to - impaction hazard), i would take fleece and wrap it around the whole cage base. you can put pine or aspen shavings in a low sided dish for use as a potty (chins can be potty trained for peeing in one spot).

i have that same cage (with homemade wood base instead of the plastic) and i love it as far as size! my two boys are quite comfy in it.

Building shelves out I my old ramps plus some new stuff
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346026470.878171.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346026493.629902.jpg
Sanding
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346026516.039105.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346026527.980794.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346026554.943181.jpg
Well they are ready! Now I just have to wait for the chin to get big enough to use them so I can put them in!

a grommet is a metal circle with a hole in it, put on fabric to attach that fabric item to something else.

some cage critque:

the fluffy stuff in the big cardboard tube on the cage floor needs to be taken out - chins should not have that stuff as they can chew/ingest it and get an impaction. Removed

those wood huts, i think they are made of plywood, and plywood is not chin safe due to the glues used.It says solid pine, i'll research it

the almond in the middle of the 'nut knot nibbler' should be removed - nuts are not good for chins due to the high fat content. could cause liver issues.gone and now I have sticks;)

the hammock, good that you removed it. the cube hanging house i think has the same nylon straps. better take that out too.
gonna cut the straps out and sew some fleece/grommets in
carefresh bedding - same issue as the yellow fluff in the tube, chins can chew/ingest it and get an impaction. much better to use pine or aspen shavings or a fleece liner on the cage floor. being as the cage base is plastic (something chins should never have access to - impaction hazard), i would take fleece and wrap it around the whole cage base. you can put pine or aspen shavings in a low sided dish for use as a potty (chins can be potty trained for peeing in one spot). That sucks, I have a ton of it, I'll get some shavings tomorrow. I may end up making fleece liners, we'll see how the sewing goes;)
i have that same cage (with homemade wood base instead of the plastic) and i love it as far as size! my two boys are quite comfy in it.
I'll build a wood base sounds like a easy little project

Thanks for the advice;)

If you got the carefresh at petsmart they should take it back even opened.

Just watch the spacing of items once he gets to the top of the shelves - If he were to fall down the middle that's pretty far. You might be able to stretch a hammock between the shelves.

No on peach and cherry - as a rule, any fruit that has pits is not wood safe for chins. Apple and pear are fine - just read up on how to prepare it - you need to scrub it and bake it for a specified period of time before putting it in there.

Awesome on the chinspin coming - leave it out til 6mo. He/she will be big enough for it then.

And just checking, that's his food bowl he's sitting on right? The lighting makes it look like there might be water in it...

I have a question about the care fresh bedding. Is it a big no-no? I have been using it and haven't seen Lilly eating it at all, but I also didn't see her escape her locked cage. I've heard wooden shavings are bad too. How often do you change/wash the fleece? I am new to the fleece idea.

The hut should be fine if it's pine; as he starts chewing down the top edges, keep checking for exposed nails. If you see one, remove it with the back end of a hammer before he can get to it.

If you got the carefresh at petsmart they should take it back even opened.

Just watch the spacing of items once he gets to the top of the shelves - If he were to fall down the middle that's pretty far. You might be able to stretch a hammock between the shelves.

No on peach and cherry - as a rule, any fruit that has pits is not wood safe for chins. Apple and pear are fine - just read up on how to prepare it - you need to scrub it and bake it for a specified period of time before putting it in there.

Awesome on the chinspin coming - leave it out til 6mo. He/she will be big enough for it then.

And just checking, that's his food bowl he's sitting on right? The lighting makes it look like there might be water in it...

Thx for the wood info, gonna cut an apple branch up and bake it for 160ish for 2 hours, my oven runs a little cool!

And yes, food dish! Way to big!

The hut should be fine if it's pine; as he starts chewing down the top edges, keep checking for exposed nails. If you see one, remove it with the back end of a hammer before he can get to it.

Thx! I'll keep an eye out!

Gonna try to take on the sewing machine this afternoon! Wish me luck!

from what i have seen in stores, that is the 'gnawsome hut' or some such name, and it is made of plywood.

fleece liners for the cage bottom don't necessarily need to be sewn. quite often i will just fold a large piece of fleece in half so that it is two layers and the same square footage as the cage bottom (just shy of 2x3 feet by the way, is this cage's floor space). works great, and if my boys don't pee on the fleece too much, i get an extra day or two out of it by shaking it out, opening up the fold and folding it 'inside out'.

Back