Cream of Wheat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillasrox

I was looking for the cherrios and i saw a box of cream of wheat. I was simply wondering if this is safe to feed to chins?

Not sure if that's the same thing as bite size non frosted shredded wheats (never eaten "cream of wheat")? The ones in the red box?

No, cream of wheat is not the same as shredded wheat squares. It has the same consistency as say, grits. Cream of wheat is made of ground up wheat and grits are made of ground up corn. I wouldn't give cream of wheat as treats, for the same reason quick-cook oats are not recommended.
From creamofwheat.com:

Ingredients: WHEAT FARINA, PARTIALLY DEFATTED WHEAT GERM, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE (FOR QUICK COOKING).Vitamins and Minerals: CALCIUM CARBONATE, FERRIC PHOSPHATE (SOURCE OF IRON), NIACINAMIDE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID.

CONTAINS: WHEAT

Just curious, why are quick-oats not recommended? I thought quick oats and traditional oats are basically identical and are just oat flakes, but the quick oats have been cut smaller and thinner and possibly pressure steamed to absorb water faster and cook faster.

Is it the higher water absorption rate that causes the issue?

Latest posts

Back