Crazy color combinations

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnieShop

Hey Everyone,

One of our Italian friends on Facebook posted this picture, it is one of the most unique looking chinchillas I have seen, What is the craziest you have seen, and if you have pics please post!!!!

524358_405957802766072_100000555681584_1511457_447324748_n.jpg

Someone more experienced can correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like someone sacrificed a lot of conformation for color.

I'll 2nd that opinion. That or its severely underfed, etc etc.

Couldn't the chinchilla just be very young? I heard conformation and such gets better with age? Is that true?

Sorry now cool pictures to post. My girls are lovely standards, but it's hardly a rare color.

Couldn't the chinchilla just be very young? I heard conformation and such gets better with age? Is that true?

Sorry now cool pictures to post. My girls are lovely standards, but it's hardly a rare color.

They can fill out with age, but that one looks wedgey and ratty to me. I do like the color pattern. It is very interesting, but to me breeding for colors against conformation is as bad as developing teacup dog breeds.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the picture - ick, that is a ratty looking chin. The color pattern is pretty, but it's worthless to anyone who breeds because no one should breed that animal if it's an adult. If it's a youngster, there's a good chance it's going to stay ratty and wedgy. Cute as a pet, would make someone very happy as a flavor of the month, but not a great tool for breeding.

Someone more experienced can correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like someone sacrificed a lot of conformation for color.

Wow - my thoughts exactly! I almost can't see the color pattern for all of the flaws!

Not to be mean but some animals shouldn't be bred - sorry!

Could it be young and going to molt out to white? I forget the term... White ebony? Ebony white? Where they start dark and get white. (I think that's what my Jack is.)

Looks like a baby to me, would like to see it at first prime.

Even the ugliest, rattiest babies can turn out unbelievable. Just depends on the lines.

I believe it is a baby, and they are keeping as a pet. It's still very interesting none the less to see a color combination such as this, but I agree not a chinchilla for breeding.

The craziest one at our place is in our wholesale line she looks like a homo beige mosaic wrap. Maybe I can get a picture of her later

Back