Crazy chilla story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyChinChins

Okay, so tonight was a scary but hilarious event.
I was going about my business,cleaning out her cage-the usual. I closed her cage doors and left to do my thing. A few hours later,my chihuahua started to growl and bark. I was like what? So my mom walks into the room where we keep chili, and she's like "OH CRAP" come to find out
The cage door was swung open
Chili was nowhere to be found. I started to panic and started crying and frantically searching for her. Under couches,kitchen,EVERYWHERE. So after about 5 minutes of frantic searching, I look under the couch one last time. And whos fluffy bottom do I see? So Im like "I FOUND HER". We could not get her out from under the couch, so Mom lifted the couch and I made a mad dive to grab her. Once I got her, I hugged her and kissed her and put her into the safety of her cage.
Once the hunt was over, we took a step back and realized something
Not only did she have an adventure...
she took a dust bath and tracked her little dusty alien paws around the room.

:oops:

I'm glad you found your baby safe and sound.

I gotta say, that I wouldn't recommend moving the couch to grab Chili. I would say it is best to keep a constant watch on her location, and coax her out with a bath or limit her exit to one side so you can know where she'll come out. I, however wasn't there and I don't know the circumstances so I can't judge.

Also, panic sets in. As soon as Kiwi started squirming through a part of her pen, I bolted to her and grabbed her without thinking. I had to let her go so she could safely get the rest of the way through. Its easy to mindlessly chase after a loose chinchilla, and especially for a beginner like myself. I'm going to make post about being prepared for an escape at some point. It's something that should be introduced to beginners like myself.

I'm glad you found your baby safe and sound.

I gotta say, that I wouldn't recommend moving the couch to grab Chili. I would say it is best to keep a constant watch on her location, and coax her out with a bath or limit her exit to one side so you can know where she'll come out. I, however wasn't there and I don't know the circumstances so I can't judge.

Also, panic sets in. As soon as Kiwi started squirming through a part of her pen, I bolted to her and grabbed her without thinking. I had to let her go so she could safely get the rest of the way through. Its easy to mindlessly chase after a loose chinchilla, and especially for a beginner like myself. I'm going to make post about being prepared for an escape at some point. It's something that should be introduced to beginners like myself.
I totally agree. The problem with the couch was that every side was open about an inch or two. And it had the mechanisms underneath so the footrest would spring up.
And yes, I panicked myself to where I was literally sick to my stomach. You should totally make a thread on escape preparedness! I now check her cage locks like 10 times before I do ANYTHING. Now I'm more paranoid LOL

reminds me of the time my new born chin (that i didnt know existed) escaped his cage and hid under the fridge.

I totally agree. The problem with the couch was that every side was open about an inch or two. And it had the mechanisms underneath so the footrest would spring up.
And yes, I panicked myself to where I was literally sick to my stomach. You should totally make a thread on escape preparedness! I now check her cage locks like 10 times before I do ANYTHING. Now I'm more paranoid LOL

Ah, it was a reclining couch. See? I wasnt there and didnt know all the details.

In that case it probably isn't a bad idea to try and get her outta that situation.

I would have closed the door and blocked any other tight holes. By this time the room wouldnt be chin proof, but if they stop to chew something they would be grabbed. My thinking is if you let them run somewhere easier to access and less dangerous, then its progress.

How long was Chili roaming free btw? By now i think you would notice, but keep an eye on her poop. She could have ate something bad with all that freedom and blocked her gut.

I'll get around to writing that post. Im no authority on the subject, but im mulling over the details. Ill probably write the starting post and propose we work together as a forum to get something worth posting in the FAQ.

Latest posts

Back