Crate training an older dog?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

My 13 year old dog, Sakura, has not been crated in over ten years. Lately with her losing bladder control I was debating crating her when I go out. She is destroying my parents hardwood floor. She has pee pads, but is still learning to use them. She uses them occasionally. She still goes outside, but can't hold it overnight most nights. I think it's confusing her, letting her pee on the pads. She knows she is supposed to go outside. I'm wondering how much it would stress her out to start using a crate?

ever think of putting her on something.. my dog is 11 and leaks at night too, and i have her on Proin., she still leaks sometimes, but i know it would be alot worse if she wasn't on it

Something is going on with her liver, my vet won't put her on anything till we figure out what is going on :(

Using a crate for purposes of trying to get an older dog to hold their bladder, probably won't work so well since it's more of a matter of she just can't hold it that long. If you want to use a large crate so that her accidents are better contained that's a different story. I would say using a crate that is oversized for her so she doesn't have to lay in it, but can go if she needs to. Or try confining her to a room/area that doesn't have the hardwood floors and give her a bed to sleep up.

oh thats not good. ok then what was said about the crate is correct, she doesnt need training, she just cant hold it.. what about those doggie diapers? they work good.

what about trying one of those grass carpets? I don't remember the correct name, but they are sold in small and large sizes and it gives your dog a designated area to go if they are to have an accident. I personally wouldn't use one for any other reason, but for a dog that is having trouble holding her bladder, it might work just fine.

Back