Covering plastic ramps with fleece?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyhertford

I'm in quite a big quandry.

My chin seems to have taken a liking to his ramps, and won't stop gnawing them. People have recommended covering them with fleece and I've done a quick search to find some fleece but have no idea what I'm looking for. The majority of chin fleexe stuff I can find is hammocks and sleeping cube things, and all in the US. I'm in the UK.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK I can get some fleece to cover his ramps? Or do you think I'm best off spending out on a new cage that doesn't have plastic?

He doesn't really need the ramps, you could probably just take them out. Chins are great jumpers and can get from ledge to ledge by hopping just fine. If the shelves are plastic too, you can switch them out for kiln dried pine or poplar boards. Covering the plastic in fleece won't guarantee he won't chew either, he might chew through the fleece to get to the plastic.

I agree. If the shelves are close enough just remove the ramps. I don't have ramps in any of my cages. There shouldn't be anything plastic in the cage cause chins with chew anything.

agreed. no ramps needed for chins.

remove all plastic shelving from the cage and replace with kiln dried boards that are made of wood from the safe wood list for chins.

Thanks you guys

Attached a pic of the cage - am worried the shelves may be too far apart? Plus, they're made of plastic too, but he hasn't chewed on them...yet... (The pic is from when we first got the cage, it's got other stuff in it now, a couple of wooden ledges, hammock etc)

Have given him a couple of wooden ledges but he won't touch em :/

With making wooden shelves, is it easy to do?

Attachments

• 100_0579.jpg
    100_0579.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 19
Your chin can probably easily jump from ledge to ledge without the ramps, but if you're concerned you can put wood leap-n-ledges between them to give him a 'step' between shelves to hop to =)

Thanks guys. I'll have a play at taking them out tomorrow when I'm more awake - we just tried to work out how to remove one of them, got annoyed and the little scamps thought it would be a fun game to escape!

Latest posts

Back