Covering FN142 Shelves - Ideas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelyco

Fur Flavored
I think I'm getting a little too antsy about my future FN142. I have some uncut fleece yet that I originally got to make more cage liners, but I just thought about the shelves in the cage. I want to leave the shelves in, since I plan to take out the middle separator to have one big cage so this will give me more places to put bigger "floor" items and non-hanging toys.

For those of you who DO use the shelves, how do you cover them? I found the dimensions of the shelves (17" x 22 7/8"), I'm just not sure exactly what to sew. I saw a few pictures here where people just put a layer of fleece over the shelf and secure it with binder clips, but I don't really like that idea, it doesn't look as nice to me.

I'm thinking something like a sleeve where 3 sides are sewn and one left open (against the end of the cage, where they couldn't get inside at the plastic pan?), or I saw someone mention elastic, but I don't know where you'd put it, or if you'd have to worry about the chins chewing through the elastic.

Any ideas are welcome :))

I make mine like you describe: pillow case! I just makeit longer than itneeds to be and then I tuck the excess under the shelfs. Never had any problems.

I wrapped a shelf in fleece and just had the edges tucked into the slots you put the shelf in between the wire.

Also please make sure that when you do get your cage that you set it up so that there is something to break the fall so that a chin does not fall down from the top of the cage to the bottom because that fall can be lethal or severely injure a chin. Some people use a large hammock and shelves to make sure there isn't a steep fall. Just something to keep in mind. I personally would leave the center in for the sake of easiness, but that's just me.

This lady makes something like what your talking about. I got liners for my rat half of my FN142 and they are amazing liners!!! I love her design and she does quality work :)

http://momratmagicfleece.weebly.com/index.html

Definitely bookmarking this site in case my homemade covers don't work well. Thanks! I couldn't do the detailed work like she does, but it's good to have backup plans.

I make mine like you describe: pillow case! I just makeit longer than itneeds to be and then I tuck the excess under the shelfs. Never had any problems.

Ah! I didn't think of that, that's a good idea and I could easily make that work.

Also please make sure that when you do get your cage that you set it up so that there is something to break the fall so that a chin does not fall down from the top of the cage to the bottom because that fall can be lethal or severely injure a chin.

I'm planning to put a bridge across the middle like I've seen in some of the cages here and stagger the shelves and ledges around the sides so there is no straight drop.

I make mine like this. A pocket-type cover and then the backside is folded over and then the bolt goes through both fleece parts. Like an envelope.

coveredshelf.jpg

I covered my shelf like a pillow case and actually my chins sleep under its like a hammock. They love it!!!!

Thanks for all the responses, they definitely helped! My FN comes TODAY!! I got off my butt and got the covers done this morning, here is what I did:

Cut fleece about 38" x 26" (same as the liners I've been making, so that helped). Folded the fleece over so 18" overlapped, with the rest hanging off to be able to tuck under. Sewed the 2 sides to make a pocket.

This fleece was cut about longer than one yard by the store lady (39-40"), so there is about 3-4" on the end. I'm a little afraid I didn't leave enough extra on the end to tuck under, but I won't know until I get the cage put together tonight. Not bad for only learning to sew in the last 2 months!

I don't know how well you can see the flap, since the pattern mixes too nicely and can't see the contrast, but here are pictures anyway :)) The first two pictures are right after sewing, inside out. The last one is after pulling it right-side out.

Attachments

• 100_2585.jpg
    100_2585.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_2587.jpg
    100_2587.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_2589.jpg
    100_2589.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 15
The covers worked REALLY well! They fit perfectly and I actually tucked the flap inside the bottom so nothing was hanging out. They don't look professional by any stretch of the imagination, but they work!

Latest posts

Back