Could use some advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beena

SPN lover/Winchester Girl
I have looked up so much on this Site, and I'm trying to keep it all together.
Buuuut, I'm going cross eyed, so many threads, so much info.

For instance; I recently purchased a ferret nation cage. I thought I was thee coolest Chin momma ever. Now I notice they are chewing the plastic levels. Should have figured I would have a problem with that. :facepalm:
I was thinking of going with Fleece liners. But I have questions about them. Do I wash them by hand? Do I use laundry detergent? Where do I even get them? Cause Lord knows I can't sew to save a life. Lol
Or Metal or wooden levels? Where do I find them?

That's just one of my questions. Here's another.
I have a potty in the cage. Which isn't a potty, it's a dust bath I just made into their potty. It works great... But It's plastic D:
Are there potties that aren't plastic? Where do I get them?

Ahhhh, I feel like I've been doing everything wrong :(

I do appreciate Any help. :)

I have a FN and use fleece liners that I purchased from a member on here. You can throw them directly in the wash. You can use detergent but vinegar is good to help get out the smell. I wouldn't hand wash them.... I wouldn't want to get my hands all over that urine stained fleece lol. Here is a link to the master list of suppliers on here. You can buy a fleece liner from one of them. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20384

As for potty, I don't potty train my chins but I heard that pyrex dishes are good! You can buy those at walmart, grocery stores, etc.

There are a couple things you can do for them chewing the pans. If you want to do fleece, you would need to have them made as a "pillow case" liner, so that the pans can slip inside the fleece and they won't be able to get to them that way. I change my liners out twice a week and wash them in the washer with unscented detergent and white vinegar. I sometimes splash in some Nature's Miracle if they're extra smelly. There are several vendors on here who make them, you can check our classified section.

Another option for the pans is to order these : http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

They are metal pans made specifically to fit the ferret nations.

Shelves, you can used kiln dried pine bought from a hardware store and make them yourself, or I believe there are also some people on here who make and sell them.

As for the potty pans, I know someone around here pans corner metal pans but I can't remember who. I have used old casserole dishes and metal dog food pans for my chins.

Thank you so much! All that info is great!
I'm thinking I might go with metal pans on the bottom and middle, and fleece for the other 2 levels.
Pyrex is an awesome idea for the potty. I already have a couple huge Pyrex dishes, so I'm set for that.

I can stop spazzing now.
Again, thank you :)

Now, first I think you made the right choice with the Ferret nation. Its great to do fleace, and yes you can put the in a washing machine just not with any like scents in the detergent just use some natural detergent with no scents or dies so it will not affect the chinchilla. With the dust bath you can actually buy a glass dust bath but here's a clever way.

Well everyone know what a fish bowl is well you can buy one, but it has to have atleast a flat side (besides the bottom of it) and you put it down on its fat side and there you go dust bath! It has worked great for me and they love it.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas Tesser :chin4: and Dodge :chin:!!

I'm heading out to the fabric store tomorrow for the fleece. My step Mom came over looked at the cage, measured the pans, and told me she'll make as many as I need. :D
I tried to order a metal pan for the bottom, but there seems to be an issue with either the Site, or my credit card. Gonna try again tomorrow.
also here is where you can get a metal corner litter tray
Thanks! They're temporarily out of stock. I've bookmarked the Page for later :))

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.

I got some pretty cute fleece this morning. After some sewing, I put in the cage. They love it, Khaos (the older Chin) Sniffed it, gave it a test nibble.. Then proceeded to flop down, stretch out, and go to sleep. Success! *Happy Dance*

Naminé (the baby) loves it too! She wasn't as comical about it though.

If you want the fleece liners to absorb urine, don't use dryer sheets. The dryer sheets make the fleece a little bit waxy so liquid will "puddle" on it. If they're using their litter pans to pee in all the time, then you don't need to worry about it.

There's a tutorial floating around on making your own shelves without the use of tools. I'll see if I can find it in a little bit.

Lirana: thanks for that link! So awesome!
Encantadora: Thank you :))
I'm starting to pimp it out haaard lol With that tutorial on how to make shelves with no tools, and the members that make fleece hanging homes, and tubes and what not. This cage is gonna look like awesome puked all over it!
This Site is amazing! I'm learning so much!

Keep calm and carry on Beena! Everyone has given you great advice. My two cents is that a great chin dust bath can be found by getting a glass cookie jar. :) you're a great mama!

I use fleece liners & when I wash them I use unscented detergent and the scent/dye free Oxiclean. I used to only use detergent but the Oxiclean does WONDERS for urine smell/stains.

I use fleece liners & when I wash them I use unscented detergent and the scent/dye free Oxiclean. I used to only use detergent but the Oxiclean does WONDERS for urine smell/stains.

Do you use vinegar as well? Or just Oxiclean?
Can I use my regular Tide? Does the scent harm them?

I've never tried vinegar because I haven't really needed to get rid of any smell/stains because the unscented detergent paired with Oxiclean has worked great. I have not tried using any scented detergents, but it's probably best to get something that is unscented - better to be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back