Cost of Veternarian for checkup

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill61086

Hi...long time reader of board, but new to posting. I just moved and have 3 chins soon to be adopting 4 more babies in a seperate cage. I want to establish care with a local veternarian. I was wondering what you all pay for a regular checkup vet visit. I was told the cost was $73 for one chin and $57 for each additional chin. My last vet would see all three for one visit cost, but I don't think I will find this here. Do these costs seem reasonable to you all? Or should I search for another veternarian. Thanks!

It depends on your area and the clinic, but that seems pretty expensive to me. The clinic I currently work at charges $49. When I lived in the boonies and had to drive an hour to a vet who would see chins, I paid around $60.

My vet is in a really affluent area with a multi-million dollar facility and they only charge 69.00.

I think mine charges $59.00 for the 1st then afterwards $30.00 for additional ones. This price is only for exotics.

Depends greatly. Bigger the city usually higher the cost. In this small university town it's $40 and then $10 each additional. In the nearby town of about 3000 people the vet charges $20 no matter how many animals if you bring them in and a fee by distance if he travels to your place.

Thanks for the input so far. Please feel free to keep posting. The other vet in the area that says they treat exotics didn't know how to handle a guinea pig according to my pet sitter. I don't have much faith they can treat chinchillas then. I may have to go with the expensive vet. At least chinchillas don't get sick or injured very often!

Where I live, not many vets see exotics, and the ones that do you have to see if they actually know anything about them. The one that I found runs around $69 just for an office visit.

So we took the girls to the vet and they charged $65 to examine one and weight all three. She seemed pretty competent, but for after hours care and complex surgeries/diagnostics we will have to drive to Grand Rapids an hour away. At least our girl looked healthy!

For my chinchillas vet i think it was $65 for the first visit and the second one was $50 (I think). I do have to drive an hour though so add gas money on to that, lol. But for a vet that is qualified in exotics and is also a chinchilla owner himself its worth it.

I would worry more about how educated the vet is on chins than the price. I have seen exotic vets charge 40-100 just for a visit but if they don't know anything about chins its all wasted money.

Latest posts

Back