Cooldown after Playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

Since we moved Chia from the bedroom into the office in May, she's had only a few playtimes. The past couple times, I noticed her smooshing up against her cage in the spot where a little draft comes in from the AC (I put a piece of fleece down that side of the cage which keeps out 90% of the draft.) Her ears weren't red or anything, so I think she really just likes the cool air after her playtime! Still, she just looks so sad and pathetic!

7885342506_17f627bf86_z.jpg

You can also add a marble slab if you don't have one. At first they are not smart enough to head to the stone after play time.
If your chin has not had a stone previously, put your hand near the stone ( after playtime) and wait for them to stand on the stone to cool down. They do remember to return to it in the future.

i have 2 slabs that i rotate in and out... ill rinse them off then put them in the freezer and let a layer of ice form... my chin loves to lick the ice off it! cools them off as well

I leave a frozen water bottle wrapped in fleece for Shelly. After her playtimes, she runs to where it is and plasters herself on them. My other two girls are still getting the hang of their bottles.

The girls' cage is tiled, so the entire floor stays very cool. Before she had a spot where the AC would come in (it was further from her when she was in the bedroom), she would sprawl out onto the tile and chill there for a while.

Our newest chin did the same thing after his first playtime last night. My bf let Dale Earnhardt (I let my bf name him) out to play and when he went back home he sat in the corner and tried to sleep like that. I wasn't home to see it myself, but he sent me a pic and it was adorable. He has a chiller in his cage that he lays on all the time, so I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish, but he was just like Chia. Silly chins lol!

Back