Convincing Parents

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsx

Hello
I don't know what to do because I really want a chinchilla. I am 14 years old. I absolutely love animals and cared for them all my life. My rabbits have both passed recently at the ages of 8 and 9, I miss them loads and need another little pet. Also I have two dogs ( English cocker spaniels).
I have found a 9 week old chin from a breeder who my auntie knows. I think this christmas it is very much a possibility although I know that a pet isn't for christmas it's for life but this is the perfect timing to get the little male chinchilla.
anyone have any ideas in which I could convince my parents? :)

I made a powerpoint addressing all the questions that I knew my parents would ask as well as general information.
Included was information on: feeding, cleaning (how and schedule), care, expenses, space, reasons why I wanted a pair, etc. And lots of cute pictures. For mine, I knew that my parents would have a lot of questions, so it's a really long presentation.
Not sure if this will work, but here's the ppt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxxk163ew6mrtb6/CHINCHILLAS.pptx

The powerpoint is a cute idea.

Chinchillas are easy to care for, but they can cost some $$$. You have to provide plenty of chew toys/sticks, they need A/C when temps reach above 70 degrees, not to mention food/hay and the cage you will need to buy. It can be expensive at first (buying the chin, all the supplies/cage) but the cost of maintaining one isn't too bad. Just make sure you have the funds available (either through you or your parents) and I'd say you are good to go!

You could tell your parents that you took care of your rabbits very well and you would do the same for a chinchilla. Good luck! :D

The biggest difference between chins and most other animals is that they need cooler temperatures - and this is precisely the reason a lot of people/parents say "No!" to owning them. They don't want to keep their AC running because its expensive.

One way to approach that "issue" is to ask for a portable AC so only one room would need to be kept cool instead of the entire house (its much easier and cheaper to cool a single room).

Good luck and do as much research as possible. Your parents will ask you questions and if you can answer them, it'll help your case. :))

I made a powerpoint addressing all the questions that I knew my parents would ask as well as general information.
Included was information on: feeding, cleaning (how and schedule), care, expenses, space, reasons why I wanted a pair, etc. And lots of cute pictures. For mine, I knew that my parents would have a lot of questions, so it's a really long presentation.
Not sure if this will work, but here's the ppt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxxk163ew6mrtb6/CHINCHILLAS.pptx

I opened your ppp - are you also a fellow Anteater?? I graduated from UCI in 2005. :dance3:

Btw, nice ppp. I read through the whole thing. Are those vets familiar with chins?

Last edited:
Cinder and Me, I am a fellow Anteater finishing up my last year for bio sci. :)
All of those vets were found on here. I didn't have room to add a third that was in Pasadena. You're actually relatively close to me, where are you taking yours?

Since you are 14, I would also make sure your parents are willing to care for the chinchilla in the event you go off to college in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Cinder and Me, I am a fellow Anteater finishing up my last year for bio sci. :)
All of those vets were found on here. I didn't have room to add a third that was in Pasadena. You're actually relatively close to me, where are you taking yours?

Well, then zot! zot! zot! :tease:

My hubby received his molecular bio/bio chem degree at UCI and I got my earth and environmental science from there too. Great school!

Luckily I've never had to take my last chin or my current one to a vet. But if I did, the two you mentioned are on my list as well as the one in Pasadena and this one (mainly for when I lived in OC): ALL CREATURES CARE COTTAGE in Costa Mesa.

I really like recommendations, that's why I asked if you knew those vets or just heard of them. :))

Haha, yup... Zot zot zot.
Yeah, I've only been recommended their practices, so I can't give any personal testament to their abilities.

Also consider whether you will be able to bring your chinchilla with you to college or if you will want to do that. Most dorms do not allow pets at all (although UCLA allowed some reptiles), so you would have to look into off-campus housing that allows for small animals.

And to piggyback on to what the PP said.....most dorms don't have AC. We had a heater, but no AC. :(

What are your plans for when you to go college? Would you leave your chin with your parents or were you planning on taking him/her with you?

Latest posts

Back