Contradicting information in my mind regarding nutrition

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marymct

Hello everyone,

I need some clearing up on the issue of nutrition of chinchillas. I am currently an intern here in Brazil at a clinic for exotic animals as part an American government study program. In Brazil the market and number of exotic animals is steadily increasing, but there is a huge void in information on how to care for these animals in Portuguese. All the best sites and books are in English,so I am trying to create care pamphlets that are available in Portuguese, and now I am starting on the Chinchilla.

My question is. What are your guys feelings on giving fruits and vegetables to your chins? I tried doing an academic search through my university's academic database, and it appears there are almost no research studies on Chinchilla needs. However, I have noticed a discrepancy. It seems like vets recommend giving fruits and veggies sparingly whereas owners, breeders, and amateur enthusiasts recommend giving only pellets, hay and water. Sometimes a raisin occasionally, while others disagree on that too. Since have had exotic animals in the past and I work at a animal clinic now, I know that vets are not all-knowing. Since there is very little scientific studies in general, I have found that sometimes owners are in fact more knowledgeable on what seems to work nutritionally for their animals.

So I guess my question is, what do you guys feed your chinchillas? Have you guys had any adverse health problems with your diet? What do your vets recommend giving?

Vets sites that I have found supporting fruits and Veggies:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=666
http://www.drexotic.com/care-and-feeding-of-chinchillas/
http://theexoticvet.com/care-sheets/chinchillas/

There have been several debate topics on this issue, a most recent one here: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40601

Myself? I feed strictly high quality pellets, grass hay and water. I don't even give treats anymore. They think their apple twigs are their treats. My chins are absolutely fine and healthy on this diet. It it what larger ranchers, breeders, etc. have been doing for years and raising healthy chins. In my mind, they don't need the veggies, so why risk it? I have seen countless stories of bloat, GI stasis, etc. My chins do good on this diet, so I'm not about to give them something they don't necessarily need. I've had a chin bloat after giving it a tiny piece of goji berry after getting it as a free sample...that's enough for me to not give any fruit/veggies at all.

I think part of the reason vets recommend giving fruits and veggies is because they think of chins along the same way they think of rabbits and guinea pigs. Chins are similar to rabbits in many ways, and can even eat some of the same pellets (depending on the brand), but I would never hand my chin a carrot.

I do the same as Stackie. I feed my chins pellets, hay, fresh water, wood chews, and as a treat I give them supplement from Tanya, which they go bananas over. No fruits or veggies, just herbs and crushed rosehips.

A while back I got those store brand yogurt drops marketed for chins, I used them a few times and noticed my girl would lay flat on the edge of her shelf after eating it and would get grumpy if I tried to move her. (Something she did when she had gas) I tossed them and now I don't trust store food/treats. They are made for money not chin health!

The best source for information on chin care is chin ranchers. You might consider finding one or more to talk with about chin care. They will tell you a diet of good fresh pellets, hay and fresh water provide complete nutritional balance for chins. They will also tell you that varying the diet is not recommended because chins' digestive system is sensitive.

Fresh veggies and fruits, anything moist like raisins, give chinnies soft poop. Mine only get Oxbow chinchilla feed, hay and dried rosehips. I sometimes give them Oxbow veggie treats as well, but they don't need them (they do love them, though).

Latest posts

Back