contorted body, running in circles?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
I was just on my way out to work when I saw Snoops have a small seizure. What was weird was that when he tried to get up and run off, all he could do was run in a tight circle. He did this about 8 or 9 times and then I went over and then I picked him up and tried to soothe him, and it was like his whole body was in a rigid semi-circle. After a few more seconds his body relaxed and he was able to run normally again. Was this just an extended seizure? Why would his body be locked like that? It seemed like he was incapable of straightening his body out, and was frantically trying to run but could only turn in a continuous circle.

As many of you know, Snoops had a near fatal heat stroke over the summer and is still recovering from it. He had some brain damage making it so half of his body is weaker than the other side. He is finally able to run and hop a bit, so he's made great progress. He has occasional body spasm but I've never seen him do this. Thanks for the help in advance!

Usually when a chin runs in circles like that it's because they have an inner ear infection. The infection can also lead to permanent neurological damage if not treated. In this case, however, it's possible he had a seizure and needed to work his way through it before he could normalize again. It might also be that the neurological damage is becoming worse. If he doesn't do it again (hopefully) then I would just keep an eye and make sure everything is "his" normal behavior. If he does it again, he should see the vet.

My girl Toji used to have seizures when i had her and when she would have one, the entire front part of her body like wouldn't work. She would just slide the front of her body around and she would get real stiff as well. I would just let her be and try to pet her head to comfort her until she came out of it. It was awful to see but afterwards she would go back to normal.

Thanks, I haven't seen it since thankfully. I feel bad he's having so many seizures, they seem like they cause him a good deal of stress.

When humans have a seizures the state they are in while coming out of it is called postictal. They aren't actively seizing but they are not completely back. My husband said he has seen the same person take different amounts of time to come out of it. It could be your chin was postictal since you had witnessed the seizure. My husband said only O2 and time helps.

When humans have a seizures the state they are in while coming out of it is called postictal. They aren't actively seizing but they are not completely back. My husband said he has seen the same person take different amounts of time to come out of it. It could be your chin was postictal since you had witnessed the seizure. My husband said only O2 and time helps.

That's really interesting, thanks for the response! That's definitely what it was.

Back