Constipation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chinchillas were slightly constipated and I was more worried about rocky but thankfully he is fine now. Apollo is not. When I put them in the bath (no water) rocky pooped none stop but Apollo didn't poop at all for about 10 minutes. I gave him a raisin to help his bowel movements. When he did poop, they were small and stuck together with a stringy thing. They were soft (probably due to the raisin) and they smelt very bad. After about another 10 minutes they started to become normal size and harder, not as frequent as usual though, but then he pooped with this orange discharge over some of the poo and it smelt very fishy (sorry for the detail) I'm really worried now, they both are eating and drinking but I think Apollo is getting worse. I know I need to see a vet but the one I use is closed now and doesn't open until Monday and my mum is refusing to use an emergency vet as she thinks it isn't an emergency. what should I do

Take your chin to the vet asap. The smell you describe could indicate Giardia, which will need to be professionally diagnosed and treated. Please don't delay.

Take your chin to the vet asap. The smell you describe could indicate Giardia, which will need to be professionally diagnosed and treated. Please don't delay.

Seconded. Please go to the vet. Please show responses to your mom and explain that chinchillas are VERY good at hiding illness because they are prey animals. These are serious symptoms in a chinchilla and need attention asap.

Also Giardia is a microorganism that can be in tap water at safe levels for humans but not for chinchillas (I know when I was a kid if my mom was told that she'd wonder how it was possible for them to get diseases when they're mostly caged- in case your mom is disbeliving of pepperpot's post) Again, please go to the vet asap, but make sure you are giving your chin reverse osmosis (ro) water or at least filtering you tap water. (not di or distilled water, it's demineralised and can cause health issues as well- its not what you want the chin to be drinking)

thanks guys :)
Im really worried, shes saying hes fine and he doesnt need a vet appointment and we will ask the breeder we got him off when shes back from holiday (not till sunday D:)
This happened with my gerbils in the past, they were ill and she didnt believe me. they died and she blamed me then wouldnt let me get another pet for ages...
Hes losing weight, hes very thin but acting normally which gives me hope it isnt too late.
My dad said he might book him in tomorrow morning

Latest posts

Back