Constipated chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So about 2 days ago my breeder came round (was worried about Rocky) and told me he was constipated. He was pooing but not very often and they were small and hard. She said feed raisins and let him have a run round. I do not have raisins and will be unable to get them for about a week. I do however have sultanas;would these be an ok substitute? Also, today he's been running round and he's a lot more active (he's normally quiet and subdued) however we've been here about 10 mins and no poops at all (he was getting better) he isn't huddling into a corner or stretching his belly out, does he need a vet or just more time?

Can I add he is not acting lethargic in anyway and his poops weren't tiny, they were just a little smaller and rock hard. I doubt he has severe constipation as he is acting normally otherwise

Update: just put him in the bath to have a play(no water) In the space of 30 secs, he pooped 3 times! He's pooped A LOT now. All droppings are not quite normal sized but aren't rock hard either. They are in between a gerbil dropping and a chin dropping

No raisins or fruit of any kind, ever! They aren't good for chins and especially not sick ones. If he's not back to normal he needs to see a vet. There could be something blocking his intestines, or it could be gas. Either can lead to bloating and stasis.

Make sure you have fresh water daily, your water tastes good to you and the bottle works well, constipation on a good diet of pellets and hay usually means not enough water intake.

He has fresh water daily and yes its good water :)
Becky, I was told by my breeder to use raisins. Shes been breeding for 30 years so I dont think it would harm him

Latest posts

Back