Constant humping?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreenbmp

double chin trouble
I recently caged my two chinchillas together; they get a long great, and have not fought once. They are both males. One thing I’m concerned about (And I’m about to get semi graphic)

The dominate chinchilla we have is constantly humping our new one, all the time. (Sometimes ejaculating on the others fur.)
Also, whenever the dominate Chin starts sniffing or grooming the others fur, he will get an erection.
The other chinchilla does not seem to mind it, and he only sometimes will run away.
We have verified that both are male for sure.
Is this a stage? it's just strange to me that it's constant.

Other than that, they get a long and play just fine. They are cuddling as I type this.

My boys will hump each other to completion. They go back and forth, it can get to be quite a sticky situation. They will go a month without humping each other at all, then a week where one gets humped (and an extra bath) everyday. Neither of them complain or try to get away or fight back, so I figure it's fine. I gave them a fleece pillow to see if they would use that instead of each other, and they are starting to catch on. I'm thinking a Chinnie-Buddie from Annie O will give them a better outlet than each other. It's on my list for next purchase.

Back