confused

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

apangburn

Ok here it goes. I got 2 chins from a lady who just didn't like them anymore and she told me that they didn't produce babies for her. Anyway. I had someone check to see what sex they were and they said it was two boys. So I changed their names to Fred and Ricky. Here comes the confusing part. Fred and Ricky had a baby. It is beautiful but how do two boys have babies? I guess I will be splitting up Fred and Ethel. I will find someone else to sex them for me. lol!

Wells the lady you got them from at least new their sex....lol...The person that told you they were both boys, how much "chin experience" does he have? ....

I'm glad the kit is okay.

Congratulations! So I guess you have been reading up on here about how to care for a baby? Do you have a kit safe cage? Be prepared for a possible breedback, she may have become pregnant before you took him out. I hope you can post pics of the little one, how old is it?

I would have to say you definetly have a boy and a girl. lol How old is the kit? Like addictedtochins said she may have bred back already, so be sure to seporated them asap and mark on the calander when you do. That way you don't have anymore suprise babies. Congrats on the little one!

kit

Yes the kit is in a safe cage. I know this going to sound bad but I don't know how old he is. The chins have a hut and I play with them everyday but didn't notice until I heard a different noise coming out of there and there it was. It is white with a gray head. It is really really cute. lol! Everyone sees him wants him or her. As soon as I can get a pic I will post.

Am I reading your last most to mean the kit is in a cage by itself? It should be with mom. Baby chinchillas are born fully furred, eyes open, and running around the cage within minutes. Just because its running around doesnt mean its ready to be on its own.

Hopefully I misunderstood your post? There are pictures on this forum to show male from female - generally speaking there will be a space between anus & cone on a male, whereas the anus & cone will be right next to each other on a female. Check both your chins & the one with a gap will be Dad, and the one without a gap will be Mom.

Keep baby with mom, move dad by himself, if possible. Good luck, and it sounds like baby was born healthy & happy :)
~Barb~

You would definitely see him the day he's born. After a couple hours they jump everywhere. They won't stay in a hideout. So the day you saw him is probably the day he was born.

He is with his mom. He is very health looking and his mom is taking great care of him. He already has a home when he is old enough. Thanks!

If you didn't split up mom and dad after you noticed the baby, be prepared for more babies. They can mate after giving birth, called breed back. The gestation period is 111 days.

Latest posts

Back