Concerned with constipation!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintistatern2005

Hi I just have a few questions. I noticed just the past couple days that my boy chin whom is about 6 months old is pooping much less and his poops are very very small. I am concerned about constipation. He is currently on oxbow and is free fed timothy hay and also gets a pinch of ryerson's supplement every night. He is eating and drinking fine. During play time he is fine also. Tomorrow i am going to make an appointment with the vet but i was wondering if there was anything over the counter to help relieve this issue until he can be seen by the vet?
Thanks

One of my chins was experiencing some minor constipation. I took away his pellets, stopped giving him treats, and restricted him to a hay only diet. I also massaged his tummy by hand, and then tried a back massager, which he actually enjoyed. Today he was passing bigger poops and more frequently. He seems to be working his way out of it.

Of course, I also took him to the vet after having read limitless posts on GI stasis and working myself into a frenzy. lol

I would give him acidophilus, you can get it at any healthfood store. The higher in the Billion count for the probiotics the better. Get it in capsul form so you can pull that open and spinkle on just plain oats. I also keep LifeLine on hand for that reason too. It has probiotics in it and the chins love it. Bloat and stasis can kill a chin. If it were me I would not be giving the supplement everynight either.

I have a chin who everytime he gets that supplement he gets small poops. I think it is the wheat germ, as he has wheat issues. The other 3 love it, but his tummp can't handle it.

So perhaps only give that 1-2 times a week a small amount. Also just check the water bottle to make sure it is working properly. Sometimes it looks like they are drinking but the bottle can get stuck and nothing will come out for him.

Back