Concerned About Weight Fluctuation (With X-Rays)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airyn

Boji's weight is all over the map and I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys as to whether I'm just being paranoid or not. I know I should've posted these x-rays much sooner. They were taken in June. I took them to my parents' for safe-keeping and completely forgot to grab them again. In June, the vet said all was well and then his weight went back up within a few days so that alleviated my concerns.

All signs except for the weight fluctuation point to okay. He's 6 years old and is eating, drinking and pooping normally. I bought hay from KMS Hayloft rather than the local store at the end of February, but that was the only change. No watery eyes. No change in pellets. PUR3 filter on the faucet. No behavioral change... just his normal, bipolar self. No changes in anyone else.

We'll do this timeline style for ease of reading...

05.15.10 - 429g
09.25.10 - 448g
12.??.10 - Caged him with Buddha.
06.08.11 - 465g
06.26.11 - Small poo. Eating/drinking normally. Made vet appt. Gave Lifeline.
06.27.11 - Weight 427g LOWEST -Vet did x-rays (attached) and "CBC Superchem". Said results were normal and all was well. Took him home and gave more Lifeline.
06.28.11 - Poo back to normal. Continued with Lifeline.
06.29.11 - 435g
08.01.11 - 451g
12.01.11 - Weight 479g HIGHEST
02.28.12 - Hay from KMS Hayloft instead of Oxbow. No difference in amount of discarded hay (unfortunately). I switched to see if they liked KMS better. He eats it when it's offered and I've seen him devour a bowl just as quickly as the Oxbow.
03.14.12 - Weight 459g - Separated him and Buddha to see if that changed anything.
03.21.12 - Put him and Buddha back together.
03.22.12 - Weight 449g.​

I'm debating taking him back for another CBC just because a 10g drop in the span of 10 days is more than a little disconcerting. If you see anything wrong with the x-rays, I'll definitely ask them to get some updates as well.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• Boji - 062711.jpg
    Boji - 062711.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Boji - 062711 2.jpg
    Boji - 062711 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 20
At a glance, nothing in the x-rays really screams out to me.

I personally, wouldn't be worried about the weight fluctuations. What are the temps like, and how much do they vary? It really looks like he's lighter in the summer, and heavier in the winter.
We try to keep our animals at about the same temp year-round, but there are fluctuations and we notice some weight drop when it starts getting warmer outside (like a couple weeks ago). Also, you just put him in with another chin, so he's probably more active!

If it was a steady decline of 10+ grams a week, then I'd be raising red flags.

Darn! I knew I forgot something! Temp in the winter is 66-68. In the summer, there is a wider range... 68-72. Humidity is always under 50%, as I do have a dehumidifier.

Thank you! I'm so glad you don't see anything abnormal in the x-rays. Malo is by far my biggest fear!

The only thing I may be concerned about is the green arrow - but I really think that's just from the angle, I don't see anything on the VD that matches up.

These red arrows are *roughly* the Boehmer-Crossley reference lines. But both pictures are a little bit oblique, and I'm still an amateur. The roots look fine, imo.

Attachments

• Boji - 062711.jpg
    Boji - 062711.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Boji - 062711 2.jpg
    Boji - 062711 2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 16
That definitely helps! I've tried to get a better grasp of reading x-rays, but it's just a challenge for me. Thank you again! I really appreciate it.

The green arrow could either be a artifact of the x-ray or it could be a cementicle or enamel pearl, if tooth symptoms come up I would have that re-xrayed.

Thanks Dawn! Other than the weight loss, he has no other signs. *fingers crossed he stays that way*

Latest posts

Back