Concerned about an 8 week old kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
I posted about this kit in the general chin topics inquiring about her color, but I am a bit worried about her. She is only 8 weeks old. I got her from the humane society, and she came in in a cage with 5 other chins, one of which was her mom. The humane society separated her without any weaning process.

I have never raised a kit this young so I am not familiar with how it should go. Do I need to be worried about her not eating? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know kits, but I do know chins need to eat. If eating stops then the gut stops and can cause stasis issues. Even at eight weeks I think she'll be ok on pellets and hay instead of mom's milk (from what I've read, Ive never had a kit). I don't think quick weaning would stop the baby from eating- she probably was eating some of mom's food before anyways. The stress of a new home or possible illnesses could be enough to cause issues, so i'd keep an eye on it.

Fortunately you got good responses in the other thread about his color. Ill jsut paste them here as well.

there are a lot of people who sell kits at 8 weeks (I am NOT one of those). At 8 weeks a kit would be eating plenty of adult chin food to be ok. If she is eating, drinking and pooping she is ok. She will sleep a lot since she is still a baby.

She is a mosaic. I would get in the habit of weighing her. That's the best way to judge if she is eating well. Most kits will grow steadily, any loss can be a sign of trouble.

How is your kit doing? As mentioned, the easiest way to know for sure is to weigh her. Keep an eye on her food dish and water bottle. If she's eating and drinking, I'm sure she'll be okay :) I hope she's doing well for you!

Back