Colour?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaina_Organasolo

Hi everyone.

I just wanted some opinions on my Baby's colour as I've had a few opinions from a few different people and there's no definite answer. I know it's not all that important as I don't intended to breed from him.

He's a white cutie but what people can't tell me for sure is if he's a Black White cross.

Pedigree is as follows -

Sire: Standard Grey
Dam: Black White Cross.

He's definitey a white, so that makes it 50/50 as to whether he's a Wilson (Mosaic) or a Black White Cross.

His breeder said he was probably just a mosaic, as his mum had never thrown a confirmed velvet baby for her. Having said that, His Mum was bred by one of the foremost breeders in the uk of B/W crosses.

I asked my friend, who is a breeder - he said he thought Mosaic. I spoke to some show breeders who said given his mum's breeder and the fact he has some spats they would class him as a Black White Cross....

The funny thing is, he does have spats but only on his left side. so front and back. He also has a dark spot on his Bum, that has gotten darker with age. Having said that I saw a black white at a show recently and his spats were Black. Spooky's are dark but not black.

Here's some photos we took when we first got him, it does show his markings at that point well. He has changed a little - he's gotten a bit whiter I think but his Bum spot has gotten darker.

Left hand side (You can see his spats) -

P7030047.jpg

Right hand Side (you can see the spot on his bum/leg)-
P7030048.jpg

Garfield Impression - (you can see a darker patch on his left hand side)
272198_10150247930107207_569982206_7301806_6882193_o.jpg

He's now chubbed up a bit, he's 5 1/2 months and 500g at the mo. Haven't got any more recent piccies but can take some if that helps.

Let the debate begin!

He looks like he could be touch of violet to me with the veiling on the head and the spots of darker. Mosiacs mottle the TOV gene sometimes. Only way to tell for sure would be from breeding, which I am not saying you should. He is very cute though.

Thanks Brandy. There's no violet in his pedigree, going back 5 generations on both sides. Did you mean Velvet?

He has got quite a dark face -

P7120059.jpg

Last edited:
he is super cute - looks a lot like our new baby, Hannibal, who is a White Mosaic, as I understand it... but I have to confess some ignorance, as the term Black/ White Cross is not one I have heard previously (but I am a bit of a noob)

he's gonna be a lady chinnie heartbreaker, regardless :)

I think the usual american term is TOV White, we tend to use Black/White Cross over here in the Uk.

It's a white Chin who also carries the velvet gene.

I've had a look at him just and his face has gotten darker than appears in those photos.

I'm sure he would be a heartbreaker but the poor guy lives in a house with 3 other boys..lol.

It's all about technicalities really, and as was said before, the only way to 100% say would be to breed him to a standard and produce a velvet baby. I'm just curious as his breeder says he's not but I suspect he is. Different people have different opinions on him.

Needless to say I adore him 100% and he's such a lunatic and great fun.

For the Record his name is Spooky Stay Puft...lol. Poor Guy. My oh said I could have another one, a white like I wanted on the Condition that we call him Mr. Stay Puft. I agreed on condition it wasn't his first name....So he just goes by Spooky, Spook or Pooky. (spooky after Fox Mulder)

He would be considered a mosaic here. Whether he is TOV or not you'll never know unless you breed him, as mentioned above, but regardless he would still be called a mosaic. There is no recognized show classification of "TOV white."

I have a mosaic here that has a dark head like that and I know for sure there is no TOV in her pedigree. Like Peggy said, the only way to know for sure is to breed him, which you are not planning on. I'd call him a mosaic and leave it at that.

Back