Coloring help?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmstrong

First off let me say that I am NOT trying to breed, I'm just trying to figure out what mutation/color these 2 are. I have one male, who is a standard. He's spoiled rotten and we love him to bits. His name is Luigi. Yesterday we adopted a mama and her baby. They are in a seperate cage than my male (and will continue to be). The mama was getting beat up in her previous home. Her fur is chewed in some spots because she was in a cage with 4 males! Poor girl was miserable! Her baby is a male, so when he's old enough he will go into the cage with my male. There's a good chance she's pregnant again, so we will be watching that as well. The people were NOT responsible at all! But her life will change now, she will be as loved and spoiled as my other guy.
Anyway, back to my original question. They are a very unique color. They're all one color, and it's a weird shade of brown. I'm just wondering what I could call them. Anyone care to help? The mama won't let me get a pic but the baby did. Mama looks exactly like him. Any ideas? Thanks!!
~Heather

Attachments

• DSCN2030.jpg
    DSCN2030.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 75
Is the tummy the same color as the back? If so, then I would go with tan.

I've not seen ebony or gray peeking through on a tan before, at least not here, but it looks like there is some in that picture. Also around the nose. Kind of oddly colored.

The coloring in the photo is not the greatest. It would help if he were on a white background in natural light but my guess would be a VERY off color light ebony (since I don't see any white in his belly).

I agree, that is an ebony! Awesome picture by the way. That is by far the worst case of oxidization I have ever seen on a baby and my guess is they never cleaned the cages. His nose and the top of his tail are the only black spots left and in a good clean home he will turn black again as his new fur pushes in.

Please post more pictures as he gets older!

Would love to see some of his mom too.

Yah I was going to say ebony with terrible staining/oxidation. Wow. I can't imagine what those cages look like. Hopefully it improves with dusting and new fur.

That is one of the most unusually colored chinchillas I've seen. At first I was thinking tan, but oxidized/stained ebony does sound like a good guess too. That would have been some crazy dirty cage for that to happen though.

If he were a tan, he would have pink ears. I am leaning towards an extremely oxidized ebony. There is a lot of red there. He must have been in horrible conditions.

I didn't even look at the ears - all I saw was the color and looking for the belly. I have a hard time believing that's an ebony. I've seen chins come from the most hideous conditions you've ever seen and no baby I've ever seen has oxidized like that. I'm talking maggots in the slime they called bedding, flooded cages, no light at all - still no oxidizing like that on a kit.

I am thinking he has some (poor) TOV veiling starting on his face maybe?.. if he is TOV veiling wouldn't be all the way in yet.

He looks like a cinnamon ebony to me. I've had a couple standard kits born with that coppery tinge on the tips - not quite that bad though.

Thanks guys. I was thinking ebony too. They're too dark to be charcoal. All the chinchillas in the cage looked like this. The cage wasn't too horribly filthy but it def wasn't clean. But I am also thinking they may have cleaned it up because they knew I was coming to pick up the 2.
If I had the space I would have taken the males too. But I just don't have the space for that many cages in my house.
These guys are well loved now. The baby is very outgoing, mama not so much. But I'm sure in time she'll be just as sweet as my other one. She's not had an easy life, she's missing so much fur from the males pulling it out.. We'll see what happens as they get healthier and healthier. I'll def be posting pictures of him growing!

Latest posts

Back