Colored Shelves for Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpleasants

I recently purchased some colored wood accessories for my chins cage.. They are colored with food coloring. When taking everything out of the package, i noticed my hands were getting stained by the color. I've been nervous about putting it in my chins cage because i don't want it to stain the white fur on her belly. will it stain her? Is there anything I can do to remove any excess color?

Also, if my chin was to pee on a colored shelf, would the wetness cause the color to transfer to her fur more easily?

It's a common problem with using food coloring for wood coloring, it will stain the chin until it wears off or you wash her (not advised since that would involve water and a lengthy drying process). The color wont hurt her though. The only thing I can think to help with removing some of the color is soak it in water or try boiling it in water, changing the water until it's clear, then allowing it to dry. That would of course remove the coloring but also make it pretty dull. Any moisture, pee, water bottle leak, chin spit (from chewing), or sweaty hands, can cause to color to bleed some.

If the color is pink, and you have a pink white, you will have a REAL pink white! Ask me how I know, LOL.

I just wash mine before I use them. I bought my chinchillas some apple wood sticks and all there toys are washed before use. Don't wash them to much though or most of the colors will be removed!!!

Latest posts

Back