Color Classification

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
Okay so I am pretty good at deciphering colors and classifications but the proper term for this 5 week old kit has me stumped.

Dam is a Somavia PW female (white without any discernable markings and nothing but PW's and Beiges in her pedigree 5 generations back). Sire is a Pure MD Standard Shoots male. Her overall coloring is very light beige (not white at this point) with half of her tail being white. At birth she had a very small slightly darker spot on her back which has grown in size and darkness as she get older and another smaller spot has developed on one of her hind legs and it wraps around to the inside of the leg.

I have two questions - would she be classified as a PW? A Beige Mosaic? A Beige? What? Sorry but she is the first PW I have had born here so still learning on this one!

Generally how well do chins (of good quality) and this color do at shows against whites?

Attachments

• DSC_0270.jpg
    DSC_0270.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0272.jpg
    DSC_0272.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0273.jpg
    DSC_0273.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 64
She would be in the mosaic at the MCBA and if I am not mistaken PW at the ECBC.

As far as how well they do: I have never been to an ECBC show so wouldn't know, but the mosaic at the MCBA it is all about each individual animal. If it has it, it has it.

Last edited:
Actually, as of March, MCBA changed the rules again. A pink white is a pink white regardless of markings, so she would be classed as a pink white. She is going to continue to lighten up quite a bit so I doubt there would be any reason to classify her as beige.

In the shows I've seen, more often than not pink whites take section champ.

Generally how well do chins (of good quality) and this color do at shows against whites?
If she stays a beige hue over most of her body she'll show against beiges in both shows. Same with mosaics that are solid with only a white tail tip or leg pattern.

As far as how well she'll do, it just depends on what shows up that day.

If she turns pure white and keeps the dark spot she'll probably do really well. From personal experience the ones with odd spots that wrap onto the belly or under the legs and weird base colors do not do well in ECBC shows under most of the judges. MCBA is more accepting but it depends on where they get placed (solids or whites).

Can't wait to see her in 8 months!

Actually, as of March, MCBA changed the rules again. A pink white is a pink white regardless of markings, so she would be classed as a pink white. She is going to continue to lighten up quite a bit so I doubt there would be any reason to classify her as beige.

In the shows I've seen, more often than not pink whites take section champ.

Thanks Mish - I think it is this changing of the rules that constantly confuses me. As soon as I think I have it, it seems like it is different with the next show I attend. I really wish that there was more consistency and some hard and fast rules but then again I understand why there isn't. Also since she is the first PW that I have bred...I wasn't sure if she would continue to lighten or not. She does seem to have a white undercoat so I thought that she might. Her mom was a Color Champion so I am hopeful for her.

If she doesn't lighten up and goes directly against the tans, she will get knocked for inconsistent veiling due to the darker spot that she has. I know this from experience showing uniquely marked tan whites. I also know that if you mark her as a white and she has a white tipped tail she technically is supposed to go up against the whites, but I've had the classification table call me over and ask me my preference for where they be placed.

The only heavily marked tan whites I have had go up against the tans did not have the white tipped tail, they only had white feet or legs. They did terrible against the tans b/c their coloring was not even the way a tan or a beige's should be. They do better with the whites where it is expected to have some patterning, spotting, or stripes in the fur with different shades of color.

As others have said though, how she actually does depends on her overall quality and what other chins are at the show! If you bring her to Nationals I'll look for her when I'm animal handling :)

Cheryl

I also know that if you mark her as a white and she has a white tipped tail she technically is supposed to go up against the whites, but I've had the classification table call me over and ask me my preference for where they be placed.
That's nice that they ask you, the judges have always decided where the animal was shown when I show the oddballs. Sometimes it creates some very interesting and lengthy arguments between them too.

Had a couple at nationals this year that were clearly darkly marked whites that the judges placed in the solid classes. I suspect they just try to place them where they will compete the best.

You are getting conflicting info, but Mish is right. She is a pink white and would be shown as one in both shows (although Cathy is right-it is called white with pink ears in ECBC).

She would be a tan if there were spots on her belly, but there aren't.

If she doesn't lighten up and goes directly against the tans

Ooh sorry I meant to say beige!!

That's nice that they ask you, the judges have always decided where the animal was shown when I show the oddballs. Sometimes it creates some very interesting and lengthy arguments between them too.

I bet that does make for some interesting arguments. The few times I've been asked were on heavily marked tan whites where there was no obvious white tipped tail, just white paws and legs.

Cheryl

You are getting conflicting info, but Mish is right. She is a pink white and would be shown as one in both shows (although Cathy is right-it is called white with pink ears in ECBC).

Thanks Becky. Not sure where the tan info is coming from because as stated there is no ebony in her background.

Regardless of what she is classified as if shown (white with pink ears - ECBC and PW - MCBA) what is she technically called? A PW, a Mosaic PW? I guess I am just looking for a firm answer where there may not be one???

If I decide to sell her (which I am not considering at this time), what would I call her? I am leaning towards just a PW since that is what she basically is both in phenotype and genotype???

She is a pink white. If I am selling one, I will mention that she has beige marking.

Cool baby we've made two pink white mosaics this year too. Gives a good new look towards the standards I see all the time. :)

You have that right Jeoff, I love standards and they are probably my favorite but it does get boring after a while! :)

Nice to break that up once in a while and I always love being surprised!

Latest posts

Back