Color change....weird

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha

My pink white chinchilla Houdini is about 3 years old. I've had him for about half of that time. When I first got him he only had one or two freckles on his ears and a tiny bit of gray at the base of his tail. He has basically looked the same up until about the last 2-3 months. Now, he has more freckles on his ears which I've heard is normal for pink whites as they age. He also has more grey on his tail. It was barely gray at the base, you really had to pay attention to notice it. Now, the gray has moved up his tail and his tail is almost half grey (mixed in with the white hair like a mosaic). Its so weird because its come on so suddenly! Anyone else experience this with pink whites? I've seen babies change colors as they grow, but not adults. Looks like he is morphing into a mosaic chinchilla! hahaha

Whites change every time they prime. That's part of the fun of owning one!

That's really interesting, I never knew that! I'll be looking forward to see how his coat changes over his lifetime. That's so cool!

My 9 year old white has changed color many times, from full white to half grey and white, to having white patches on gray, to full white again right now, its fun.

That's awesome about them changing when they prime. My mosaic is just over a year old and I thought she was just getting darker in spots as she got older. She was almost pure white when I got her and now she's got a much darker face and grey scattered throughout her coat.

I used to have a mosaic too (she died a few months ago :(). When she was a baby, she was mostly grey when she was born and changed color quickly as she grew. It was pretty cool to see!

I had no idea that pink whites change every time they prime. Since my chin is an adult, I definitely didn't expect to see any color change in him so I was wondering what that was all about over the last couple months. Cool color changes is part of what makes chins awesome if you ask me!!! ;)

Latest posts

Back